or Connect

Posts by NexusPhan

Don't you love having good, technical discussions between people that just love technology for the sake of technology!??Too bad most times it seems to get lost in useless rhetoric of them vs. us. Nice talking with you, plovell and SolipsismX. You remind me of how good the vast majority Apple (and the other guys too) fans are.
 That it will be.I'd guess it'll be an OS X only solution and similar to trusted Bluetooth pairing. That way only the tokens and name/address are sent from your phone to your desktop and it's only Apple ecosystems to remain in their control. Maybe a special checkout button on the desktop appears while paired to a phone and that point will prompt for a fingerprint scan to confirm the amount and website. Seems reasonably to me, albeit a bit more cumbersome than Google Wallet...
 Thanks very much for the explanation.I actually thought a part of Apple pay was for online shopping like Google Wallet checkout is. Google Wallet uses tokens (real credit card numbers are never given) and auto-fills addresses and the like when purchasing on websites on desktop and mobile. It's really, really great but isn't widely adopted. Maybe a few hundred sites. I'd be stunned if Apple Pay does not add similar functionally very quickly, which is good because it's a...
 Oh you're absolutely right, Google will not be able to negotiate anything close to what Apple has done. But, they wouldn't try to anyway because they rely almost entirely on ad revenue. Google Wallet ad revenue works by reminding you of loyalty cards stored in Google Wallet when you're in that store. It's probably one of the least intrusive, most welcome ads in existence. Unlike the ads on this website!And that's a fair point about online card storage. I'd assume it's...
 Ah, you have it all wrong. I believe there are a number of options that lead to similar solutions. I certainly was not accusing Apple of copying anything. I posted here because the first comment talked about Google getting ready to copy Apply Pay. All I was doing was trying to do was give Google credit where credit was due. Glad to hear you were reasonable in the NFC talks. It really can be extremely secure for payments.Oh, and for number two, yes it is very similar!"The...
 1. If the scenarios were switched (Apple did the tokens and left the banks out) I guarantee you you be spewing out garbage about how Google is in bed with the big evil banks. I prefer Google's open way, but understand why Apple did what it did.2. Google wallet does require access to the secure element. It's part of the phone hardware no different than Apple. Carriers didn't like it until the FCC got involved.3. If the most important differentiation to you is how you...
 Yes Apple pay *might use - do we know 100% yet?* the EMVCo standard but Apple requires a cut of each transaction to "let" banks in leading to behind the scenes negotiations. That's fine with me, that's how business works when you have as much muscle as Apple.  I didn't intend for that to be as condescending/confrontational as it sounded. What it means for us consumers is some cards and banks out there will lack support for Apple pay because they were not willing to give...
 1.  Google Wallet has had it's own token and pin system that it handles rather than getting third party behind door deals with banks and card issuers and using individual solutions. Which is better? Depends who you ask. In the end, they function identically.2.  Google requires a secure element for Google wallet. It was the main reason US carriers were previously blocking Google Wallet from being installed because it required access to the secure element.3. I already...
 Yes, which is a good thing. This way, you can use any card from any bank in the world and Google's encrypted tokens handle it. Apple has to make behind the scenes deals with individual card issuers and banks to get the tokens.
 Google Wallet has always had tokens. "Wallet also uses dynamically rotating credentials that change with each transaction and are usable for a single payment only"http://www.google.com/wallet/faq.html#tab=faq-security