or Connect

Posts by elehcdn

WiFi and Bluetooth suck a lot of power. Also, when the cell phone radio is in operation and talking to the towers, it also sucks a lot of power. Most current cell phones can remain in standby mode for days, but continous talk time is usually in the 5 to 8 hour range.
I have been on the road for the past two weeks. I started having the RSD problem about a week and a half before I left town, and I didn't want to travel without my computer, so I decided to wait until I returned. On this trip, I have been experiencing extreme problems to the point that this morning took 10 or 12 attempts plus with downtime waiting to boot my MacBook. I finally got it booted and downloaded the firmware upgrade and have been working without any problems for...
Yes, at this point, Parallels uses their own disk image to store the WinXP virtual machine. There is no way to use the BootCamp partition for Parallels. At this point, I use an 8GB partition for BootCamp since it is a basic install of WinXP Pro without much data and only minimal applications. I could actually reduce the size of the partitiion by 1GB if I needed to get back space. I use MacDrive to share the Mac data folders (as well as iTunes/iPod). The Parallels HD image...
I am using both BootCamp and Parallels on my Intel MacMini Dual. USB Activesync with both my hx4700 WM2003 and my Cingular 8125 WM5 device works flawlessly, as do all other applications that I have tried. I have a friend who is a dyed in the blue Windows XP user who has made the switch due to the Intel DualCore. He tells me that WinXP runs better and faster in DualBoot than his other PC's (he is not gaming, but he is running image and video apps). I am also running...
Actually, I wonder if the differences between HFS+ and NTFS come into play in this situation. After all, NTFS can include compression as part of its copying scheme. Perhaps NTFS has optimized compressed copying for USB2 and not for Firewire.NTFS Compression
Actually, Firewire does all of its bus negotiation internally. That was the main breakthrough in its development. USB2 still allows the CPU to do the negotiation. For Firewire, that does make every operating system and firmware upgrade somewhat dicey, since you have two systems that need to communicate and negotiate speeds. oth, on large data transfers, the CPU can simply tell FW to negotiate its own data transfers on the bus, while USB2 has to continually bug the CPU to...
Marketing FW400 is tough to do with all of the misinformation put out by the USB consortium. Simply going to FW800 gives Apple some ammunition to fire back with. While it may be true that FW400 is the popular interface for current DV, being able to give greater bandwidth to allow for HD-DV transfers could also be an important move forward. Unlike the MS-based crowd, Apple tends to look forward to what will be needed next year, not provide last year's solutions. Since there...
Getting back to the discussion about itms and DRM ... it should be noted that the issue with WMA goes beyond simple DRM issues. WMA is a format that Windows is trying to jam down the entertainment industry's throat. Meanwhile, AAC is a form of MP4, a format arrived at by consensus by a coalition of industry experts. While Apple may be making money off of Fairplay, the underlying format is in public domain. If Apple goes out of business, I could see an argument that...
... and I think that this is the problem - as long as the tablet is considered to be simply a different method for input, it will be niche market. However, redefining the tablet as a reading/downloading device is exactly the type of product marketing that Apple is good at, and could open up a new market as lucrative as the iPod.
Hmm, sounds exactly the reason not to build a digital audio playback device, circa summer 2001. Personally, I think that too much emphasis is placed on the input side of computing. For me, surfing the net, reading .pdf's, watching media, listening to music and podcasts is as probably a bigger portion of my computing time than actually inputing information into the computer. With the amount of digital media out there, I am just as interested in finding a device that will...