or Connect

Posts by RSteve

Heh heh oh you're good Rokcet! Apple should have you on commission! I'm hope I haven't offended anyone cause I really do enjoy this forum and I do appreciate all the help I've had on here. It's just that I was a little upset over the whole Flash situation and I do feel sometimes some real Apple fanboys (and girls) will defend Apple no matter what, which I don't think is ultimately good for them or the Mac community as a whole. Still, plenty of Windows equivalents who do...
I take your point rocket, but in fact I sometimes use an eight-year-old XP machine and it has no Flash problems, and unlike my six-year-old iMac, can install the latest version of any browser I choose. I did upgrade to Leopard, which isn't a six-year-old OS. In any case, from your own reply, it appears that even a brand-new iMac with Snow Leopard would have exactly the same problem with Flash that my six-year-old Mac does but an eight-year-old XP machine doesn't? I have...
I know what you mean Tallest, and you're almost certainly right - you certainly know far more about it than I do. However, whoever's fault it is, I'm posting from the point of view of an average, non-advanced computer user who buys a computer to do a certain job and is often told by Mac supporters to get a Mac because "they just work" and that I will be able to do anything I can on a Windows PC, but better. Not so in this case. I love many things about my Mac and to an...
Hey Rokcet, thanks for that. It's nice to know it's not just me but a little disappointing to see it just seems to be an Apple-related problem. I've seen lots of discussion about Flash, Blu-Ray etc. and it's the one side of the Apple experience I really am not enjoying. I like my Mac in many ways, but I don't like these issues especially when Macs are sold to switchers as "they just work". It seems a little more like "they just work, unless Steve Jobs falls out with...
Hi, I have an old iMac G5 with OSX Leopard. I use Firefox and I notice that every few days when I go on a flash-enabled website with embedded video, it stops working - nothing appears where the video would normally be. If I right-click on it the Flash settings come up so I know Flash is still there, it just seems to stop working. If I reinstall Flash it works fine again but only for 2 - 3 days before it happens again and I have to reinstall Flash again. Any ideas...
Many thanks to you both, I have installed AppCleaner - really cool litle app! And thanks for the advice on how to get it to ignore updates in the future, both really helpful - many thanks.
Hi everyone, does anyone know if I can delete a file download in OSX update? I think I set it to download updates automatically, but when I reviewed what it wanted to install, it had the latest version of iTunes. I don't use iTunes so I don't want to install it, so I unchecked it, but now it bothers me to install it all the time and I can't find a way of deleting it or telling it I don't want to. Any ideas please? Thank you.
Just to let everyone know who helped me - I finally made my mind up. My practically-new, hardly-used 5-year-old iMac G5 with Panther and 512Mb has had a well-deserved upgrade. In the end I decided to go for 2Gb of new memory from Crucial, so it has the maximum memory it can use and they're a matching pair so it can use the dual-channel feature. I also found a sealed "old-stock" copy of Leopard on eBay from a 100% trusted seller who seemed to know a lot about Macs. I...
Many thanks to you both, I used erase and install and now have what feels like a brand-new Mac! It's great! In the end I decided to get a 2Gb twin-pack of memory from Crucial, which was £70, and I found a sealed retail version of Leopard on eBay - £107 but the used versions were going for about £80 so I figured it was worth the extra to get it new and sealed. I can't believe how well my "old" Mac is running now, it feels really fast and can use most of the latest...
Hey thanks for the really helpful replies, I appreciate it! I did choose non-case-sensitive in the end, but I'm afraid I didn't see your posts about deleting files until I already installed it, so I guess it's too late now? Unless there's some way of doing it now Leopard is installed? Or would I have to reinstall? No biggie really, there wasn't anything super-sensitive on there, just a few old files I didn't want anymore - I just wanted it to be like a brand-new...