or Connect

Posts by thejenkas

I don't really see Time Capsule as a NAS.  It is connected directly to a network sure but it has no redundancy so I guess I lump it in my head along with products like the WD MyBook line as a Backup appliance.  I think about Airport Extreme specs there is more to be thought about than just network speed you should check out some of these benchmarks for other products to have a better comparison: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/mac_NAS_and_wireless.html   I see...
    Sorry this is completely off the mark and makes so many assumptions about the server market and usage that are wrong.  Nvidia I think is working on ARM servers and SSDs have been in SANs for a while now.  Combining the two won't magically give Apple 50% of the server market.  Apple has rightfully left the server market a few years ago and they would do best to stay out in my opinion.  Even the approach of marketing low power servers to home users have been tried...
And what would prevent spurious take down requests of unpopular/controversial content?  Just because enough people flag it does not mean it should be taken down automatically imho. 
  Well if the API has access to contacts and access to the network then it would be possible to "steal" contacts on either ecosystem.  This hypothetical scenario is actually best addressed by the App Store/Google Play model where a single company can decline to publish any software it deems to be a bad actor.  And in the cases of the malware as discussed in the artcile neither of them appeared in any appstores, finfisher never appeared on Play/iOS App Store and Loozfon...
    Android has Contact access in the API as well, and it even has those programs mentioned (WhatsApp, Skype).  But that isn't really what the article is about there is a line between an obvious unwanted program like the fake game that Loozfon presents and an app developer that monetizes content by selling data.  I think that is an important debate to have but not in the context of this article which is discussing malware.
Well just as an FYI finfisher actually has an iOS version as well as Blackberry/WinMo/Symbian versions: http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/FinFisher-trojan-for-iOS-and-Android-sighted-1695754.html It is actually a commerical "lawful access" trojan marketed by German firm Gamma International.   In both these cases these apps did not get into the Google Play/iOS Apple Store (for finfisher) but rather could only run if you sideload the binary.  Loozfon is an...