or Connect

Posts by Maestro64

Actually and I will try and find the information. The AZ plant can not produce enough sapphire for all the iphone alone, it may be physically big enough but lack one important thing, power. Someone did the calculation base on the spec of the sapphire furnaces that GTAT builds and their stated output capacity, it would require AZ to install a small Nuclear power plant to just supply the facility with enough power to run all the required furnaces. Also there is no AZ PUC...
I can not believe people are still stating the i6 was going to have sapphire, there is no evidence of that, if anything thesre is all kinds of information it was never going to happen. The deal as we now know was for the watches, high end watches have been using sapphire for decades. The issue Apple has is supply of sapphire, if you are going so ship millions of devices a quarter the current supply base for sapphire can not handle it. This is the reason for the deal with...
Remember what Steve said, never ask the consumer what they want since they have not idea what they want until you give it to them. Survey are worthless.   Teen are not the target mark, Apple is going after people with disposable incoming and are into watches as fashion statement, as well as the group of people who are interested in monitoring the health performance, and last but not least the naked wrist crowd of 18 to 34 yr old which cross the two other category of...
I am so tire of these armchair engineers, they are worse than the armchair quarterbacks. None of these analysis or journalist have any clue what they are taking about. I been in the product development for 25 yrs and I can tell you that no company tries to rush any product to market and pulling a feature like Sapphire display out the last minute did not happen. It was never part of the plan, the plan was always the watch, and it make more sense than anything else. The only...
There is so many stupid theory going around with this who GTAT thing.   First people have to stop thinking an iphone with sapphire is coming anytime in the near future. Why, you see the test Apple puts phones through bending and twisting sapphire will shatter under those condition and Apple know this because already tested it. Crystal structures are brittle by nature this why it never good to make things which need flexibility out of material with a ridge crystal...
Highly doubt it, supplier will whore themselves out to a company like Apple, also my experiences very few supplier even the big ones have good legal support when doing deals. Even when they do the top guys tend to override what the lawyers say due the first item I pointed out. This situation with GTAT and Apple is not good for apple not matter how you look at, No companies want their supplier going into Bankruptcy, especially in the US, the courts take over and you loose...
 Believe it or not, this kind of deal is not to unusually for the Big company to strike with a suppliers. When you're at the top of the food chain, you can make suppliers do things which make no sense. No company is going to walk away from the table with Apple. Obviously this is bad end results but Apple has done it to other suppliers, this one just happen to have all its eggs in the apple basket. Apple did the same thing to Hitachi, convince them to install at costs of...
There will be a lot more playing out with this story    http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-10-06/apple-sapphire-supplier-breaks
Okay miss that it have an e-ink display, but those do work work well with bar code scanner which are laser based, you need to use them with the optical scanning types. Not too many merchants are using them since they more expense than laser scanner.
Yes it support Loyalty card, but only if they have a mag strip, Most Loyalty card I have are all bar codes and need to be scanned by laser scanner of bar card image processing camera. I do not seea way this support bar code based Loyalty cards.   As other say this is DOA, they too late for the larger market. There maybe a smaller market who wishes to still have cards verses using their phone. This could be good back up to your phone as well, you could put all your card...