or Connect

Posts by filmjr

What are the chances we'll see an announcement of the new Mac Pro at NAB, like they did with FCPX in 2010?   Surely the largest remaining target audience of a true pro machine are filmmakers, videographers, compositers and animators.
Ordered the 27" iMac tonight. Now ordering 32GB RAM kit from OWC. Will use it for my bread-and-butter HD editing, hopefully discovering a fun, efficient new workflow with FCPX/Motion/Compressor.   My old warhorse Q2000 Wintel box will handle the heavy texture/color/AFX stuff in the meantime. If that part of my work continues to grow and my skills continue to evolve, I'll look seriously at the next (?) Mac Pro and some big-league Quadro for Mac iron.   As for...
Thanks, Marvin. I'd checked out some of those links before, but the rest of the info you posted really helps clarify my decision. FWIW, my all-time-best-ever computer was my Powerbook G4 Titanium, with which I finished film school and upon which I really learned how to edit video using FCP. All of which makes me very sentimental/lustful for the rMBP.   My biggest holdups on the rMBP are the soldered RAM and the ever-so-slightly-less-than-cutting-edge GPU. I know...
One thing I'm definitely purchasing to accompany either Mac I choose is one of the Thunderbolt RAID arrays, my ultimate goal to be able use it as a shareable/portable media drive between multiple Macs (home workstation, office workstation, mobile workstation, etc.)   I'm really excited about this idea of Mac Minis as slave/render stations, but I have exactly ZERO experience setting up render farms, server networks, anything like that.   If those turn out to be an...
  See, this is what excites me about Thunderbolt. In another thread I mistakenly said something about wanting an "external Thunderbolt video card" but what I meant was something like what you're describing with the minis, a little miniature 'render farm' that won't effectively take my application offline while I wait on it to digest multiple textures/flares/etc.   A 'true' render farm is beyond both my fiscal and technical abilities for the moment, but if I can just find...
After being a Mac loyalist for 10 years, I started building my own Wintel video workstations about 5 years ago for the simple reason that, at the time, I had $1500 and needed to cut AVCHD quickly. I still loved Apple, I just couldn't work with one anymore.   Eighteen months ago, looking at a fossilized Mac Pro, inexplicable changes of FCPX and some truly remarkable advances in PPro and AFX rendering speed from CS5.5, I built another Wintel box with a Quadro 2000 card...
Thanks again for all the responses, folks.   Just to bring my personal discussion back in line with the original thread topic:   It is WICKEDLY frustrating that Apple is so opaque about it's plans. If, for instance, I knew there would be a substantial pro desktop offering by WWDC, I could decide whether to purchase now or later...or both.   I'm going to start a new thread with regards to the pro capabilities of the big iMac and then continue to furrow my...
  Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to respond in detail.   My current CPU is a Core i7-960 (Nehalem, I think?). I have 24GB of RAM  and a Quadro 2000. It was literally the best I could afford to build at the time, and yes, it's still a decently capable box.   My work has changed in big ways since then: instead of pretty straightforward doc interviews with fairly modest color correction, titles, etc., I've been selling a lot more motion graphics,...
  All of what you said makes sense to me. I was lazy in my proposed specs (Xeon, TB, etc). What I really mean is that it seems more likely to me that Apple will slant an iMac toward the 'professional' end of the spectrum rather than maintain or re-introduce true Mac Pros in the traditional/upgradable/tower sense. I just wonder if such a raise-every-creative-ship approach to professional horsepower will fly in the pro market.   Full disclosure: I used Macs for ten years...
I'd bet dimes to a dollar that the Mac Pro is replaced by something like an iMac Pro that features something akin to Xeon processors and accommodates big video/audio processing cards via Thunderbolt.   I just can't see Apple introducing a new form factor for such a niche market.