or Connect

Posts by AgNuke1707

Hello all,   It's been a while since I posted to the GB - here's hoping I can get some guidance on my latest question.   Here's what I own hardware and storage wise: 1 Mac Mini HTPC attached to my HDTV running 10.7.4 (320 GB HDD / 2 GB RAM) 1 dual-band AirPort Extreme broadcasting to my apartment.  The Mini is attached to the AE via ethernet. 1 unibody MBP (2010) running 10.7.4 (500 GB HDD / 8 GB RAM) -- This is my primary computer for iTunes, Aperture,...
I've read and read and read stories about this, but I still don't get what's going on. Maybe I'm just not made to understand the intricacies of anti-trust law. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I believed happened. Publishers were selling "rights" for Amazon to distribute ebooks through their store on a cost-per-unit basis. Amazon was then selling consumers the "rights" to read those books for the wholesale price or lower. At this point, the Kindle was...
I lived in Texas my whole life and pretty much disagree with everything you said. I moved to California to change jobs a year ago and find it to be full of narrow minded, belligerent people irrationally afraid of plastic shopping bags. Oh yeah, and it's full of shitty Asian women drivers. I've been subjected to a smog cloud hanging above my city, panhandlers constantly asking me for a handout, and visual overload thanks to signs that constantly remind me that anything I...
Damn, replied too soon. And you're right - he could have meant that, but I would think that killing off archaic tech fits right in with the "adapt or die" model. Apple shouldn't quit growing because archaic tech companies or businesses based on their products can't adapt to a modern basis.
Killed in what way? If you mean by moving manufacturing outside of the US, I highly doubt it's anywhere CLOSE to 514K. I fail to see any other way Apple has "killed" jobs in this country.
This will be an interesting case as it works its way through the Chinese courts. On one hand, China needs a large company like Apple to keep employing its workers and injecting money and capital into its economy. On the other, China is nationalistic as hell and runs a pretty good propaganda machine. It wouldn't be very surprising to see Apple lose, get fined and lectured by Chinese judges, etc. At this point, I see Apple prevailing and Proview rapidly closing up...
CNN (and others) have recently picked up on these stories to hit an emotional nerve with the American public about working conditions for people who assemble Apple products in China. Apple is a true American story of humble beginnings and spectacular success in the face of adversity. But if there's one thing Americans love just as much as the underdog, it's knocking the Big Dog off his pedestal. Apple just reported one of the greatest quarters in HISTORY. FOR ANY...
Fine, let's assume on a cost basis Apple COULD build an iPhone stateside ... but that doesn't address the issue of scale. Where are they going to find the workforce and factory capacity to churn out 15 - 40 M iPhones every three months? I highly doubt the NYT's $46 number too. It comes with no explanation and absolutely no knowledge of Apple's material, labor, or overhead costs associated with their manufacturing lines. Only Apple knows for sure what those numbers are...
I agree with you that Apple should be proactive here. It's ultimately better for their manufacturing, better for their image, and better for their shareholders. BUT it's not just about you or I paying more to cover Apple's lost margins from doing what you suggest. Moving manufacturing away from China comes with a large amount of loss in productivity on the manufacturing line. One thing China has that the US doesn't is an abundance of people in certain urban areas. Yeah,...
As much as we would all like this to be a black and white issue, it just isn't. Do working conditions in Chinese factories suck? Yeah, probably. Do those factories churn out millions of Apple products a year? Yes. Do they church out millions of Samsung, Sony, LG, Nokia, HTC, etc. devices a year? Of course. If Foxconn is building devices for several different companies, which company bears the responsibility for forcing them to improve working conditions? And how would...