or Connect

Posts by tompage

Does it make any more sense that anyone would incur SJ's wrath by deliberately choosing to add Extreme to the database/code where everywhere else he has written just iPhone?
When you say hard coded, I presume you mean is not hard coded in PHP (or whatever) as we both agree that these are not really separate HTML pages.None of the product feedback pages work like this. There is a separate page for each product, even within a product family. For example, each iPod product (touch, nano, shuffle etc) has a separate feedback page based on the same template. No feedback page has a drop-down menu for products within a product family.Even if they...
Have a look at the source for http://www.apple.com/feedback/airportextreme.html where you see the code is almost identical bar the product name. All these feedback pages will be generated dynamically from a standard template page with URL redirectionto make it look like they are separate HTML pages to make them search engine friendly. All feedback pages will use the same script to send the input data back to the right place, so they need the hidden variable to identify...
If Apple can make 10c out of 99c on an average US song sale, then its margins must be great on sales in the European and especially UK iTunes Stores. In the UK, we are charged 79p per track. With the dollar currently at over $2 to £1, 79p is $1.60, so Apple would be making 70c or over 40% margins. Margins in other European countries would be nearly 30% at current exchange rates I know the European market is smaller than the US one, but these numbers must drag that 10%...
The recent long lists make this list look rather inadequate, but here goes: Macs: - Mac Classic II 16Mhz 680?0 (1993-1994) - sold - LC 630 + 14inch screen 40Mhz 68030 (1994-1996) - now with my grandmother [96-99 - Hiatus for clone - see below] - Blueberry iBook 300MHz G3 (1999?-2001) - now with my mother, but screen has gone completely red! - Titanium PowerBook 400MHz G4 (2001-2005) - got dropped and replaced on insurance by my wife's below - Aluminium PowerBook...
The judgement is out and Apple Computer have won their case. See this link to the BBC News report. What does this mean now? Perhaps now that Apple Records are on the defensive, rather than having the upper hand as they appear to have done in both the last two battles, where Apple Computer ending up paying large settlements, they may now agree to licence their catalogue to ITMS? Yet to see whether Apple Records will appeal - perhaps citing judicial prejudice after the...
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) spends a lot of time and effort producing open standards and logical ways of structuring "languages" like HTML, XHTML and CSS that are used to create web pages. Browsers like Firefox and Safari try (not always successfully) to render code in accordance with the standards which means that a designer should be able to predict excatly how his code will look like on a standards-compliant browser. IE has many quirks and bugs. See this link...
Has anyone noticed that in all the pictures, the red click wheel looks suspiciously unlike part of the photo and more like a flat red circle that someone has painted over the picture of a black iPod? Perhaps it was originally going to be all black and only changed it to red at the last minute after the publicity photos had been done, so someone had to photoshop on a red click wheel? It look rather amateur-ish to me, especially the angled photo in the photo gallery -...
It depends to some extent on what domains you have as the rules are set by that domain registrar - for example with co.uk it is Nominet in the UK. The domain registrars' rules should be on their websites, although offhand I think .com is a "pull" process whereby the new host puts in an instruction for the domain to be transferred to it, whereas co.uk is a "push" arrangement whereby the old host has to put an instruction in to Nominet to transfer the domain host to the new...
I've also found that sometimes after making a large number of changes to permissions on folders/files on a volume, you may need to run "Repair Disk Permissions" in the Disk Utility application before another networked computer takes notice of them. The permissions can become corrupted and running this repair usually sorts out most problems, especially if for example you tick the "Apply to all enclosed items" checkbox in the Get Info window to apply your new permissions...