or Connect

Posts by BWilliams210

It seems to me that video seems to have some problems with Safari - namely that it's turned into an absolute memory pig. Prior to 10.9.3 I never pegged the system memory or for that matter even got the "compression" level to show anything significant. With 10.9.3 my memory is pegged, compression is heavy, and performance is slow, if I'm using Safari with anything other than very basic web pages. I've also witnessed Safari Web Content crashing several times when it didn't...
The amount of RAM is 4GB.   I took a look at the Activity Monitor page linked above and discovered Spotlight has been indexing and indexing a large (1.5TB) external drive I have connected to my system.   I'll be a little more patient and see if the problem continues. If it does, I'll be back, but for now I'll consider this problem resolved.
I got a hand me down mid 2009 MacBook which is Mountain Lion compatible, so I decided to install Mountain Lion on it. The system was using Lion and it was quite quick. After putting on ML I'm getting spinning beach balls, apps are taking tens of seconds to load, etc. etc.   The performance was so bad I thought maybe the hard drive coincidentally had gone bad, so I ran some tests on the drive using Scannerz. Scannerz pretty much came back saying "you're drive is fine." I...
Just thought I'd do an update.    I replaced the original drive with a 320G Seagate that was on sale for $59.95. The job wasn't that hard, I'd say the hardest part was getting the plastic case off. If you do that read the iFixit and be very careful (if you need them) about the wiring to the camera and mike. It wasn't a big deal for me because the displays dead so I just disconnected them but if you need them, I'd think they'd be easy to bust. I disconnected the video...
I was having the typical symptoms of a hard drive failure so I got a copy of Scannerz and ran tests on it. The initial scan showed errors and irregularities, and the product says to re-scan in cursory mode over the defective region to confirm that the drive is really the problem and not something else like a faulty cable. They all confirmed, so it's clearly the drive, not the logic board or a cable. Scannerz did a great job, unfortunately it found fairly widespread...