or Connect

Posts by HAL-9000

The advantage of an electric motor-assist for a performance car is the torque, not the horsepower - especially for what I'm sure is a 10,000rpm buzzbox of an engine in that Ferrari.
Ferrari needs this badly, their current 'infotainment' systems suck. Like check out a Ferrari California's in-dash unit - its literally an OEM module you can find in a Chrysler 300.
This thread about OLED's vs. LCD's has been both interesting and informative, and motivated me to actually take a look at various devices. I work in mobile tech, and have access to a library containing basically every relevant device. So, I compared displays last Friday. Contenders? Galaxy Nexus (OLED), Nexus 4 (LCD), Lumia 920 (OLED), and iPhone 5 (LCD).   I compared websites on the devices. My "favorite" common one is CNN, because of the reds they use in their...
Is the Pixel's display an IPS or a TN panel? TN switches quicker, but its physically limited to 6-bits a channel RGB, which means all kinds of dithering tricks etc. are used to fake 8-bits so manufacturer can say "24-bit color." Everybody does that with TN displays, including Apple with Airs and older MBP's for years. But this thing is allegedly supposed to go play in Retina league. Can anyone confirm if its a TN or IPS panel?   Everybody and their dog piled on Apple...
That's a bummer deal on your 27". I was drooling over one of those and would have purchased one (so much Apple horsepower for the $) but the weeks-long wait time dissuaded me into picking a totally different SKU (a Mac laptop) instead.   Speakers-wise, I'm fine plugging in an external stereo. But the Fusion drive is supposed to be best of both worlds and from your experience sounds like its a very expensive 5400 RPM platter experience.
Thanks for the tip - on refurbs. I found a 13" rMBP (base config, stock) for $1269 and bought that. Saved $hundreds$ and have a really neat little machine here, it runs a Sim tip-top and makes my book's fonts and such look spectacular. I might still get a Haswell 13" rMBP later this year, but man I got a good buy with this little refurb. Again, thanks! Had no idea about refurbs.
  Oh boy, where to start here. Printing on (white) paper as an analogy for LCD screens rendering colors is perfectly apt - you take a point of maximum values as your constant (the backlight or the paper), then subtract from that constant into your desired color by filtering with chemicals that absorb (not emit) certain colors. That is exact opposite of displays that make their own light making their colors, and that is exact physical opposite of 'additive color' as you...
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil  Insulting users in your second post isn't the best thing to do.   Insulting somebody's very first post in a forum, unless they're making some egregious insult or trolling, is even worse.
Hey all,   I do dev work in Xcode and iOS simulators on a rMBP 15" for a living, and have an app I want to make - but that means I've got to do it offline from my work, hence not use work assets to develop app. So I need a Mac. But I have no idea what to get.   I'm kind of kicking around between a Mac Air and a rMBP 13. The rMBP 15 is nice but expensive - I'd get a much higher powered desktop for the same money and I don't do anything that needs crazy video. And...
  I knew when I posted originally somebody would read what I posted, then assume I was confused because they didn't read it right - then get smarmy.   There is no 'black light' on additive colorspaces indeed. But that's my original point, 'black' in an RGB colorspace is nothing at all, i.e. zero.   But LCD's are always 'on,' aren't they? Backlight is always going, they are never at zero when turned on. In other words, an LCD's version of 'black' emits light (look at your...