or Connect

Posts by nshady

Still haven't found an answer. :/   It's something to do with mds running amok. Even after I have disabled Spotlight indexing my entire HD, whenever Time Machine launches for a backup, mds does too. I've caught it stealing 30GB virtual memory and nearly 3GB of real memory. Drives everything to a crawl. Tried everything. No luck. Just riding it out until new Haswell rMPB comes out I think.
Thanks for the reply. I had busy few days so I'm sorry I couldn't get back to debugging this situation until now.   I put my whole disk in the Spotlight privacy and regained all my space back up to 27GB. Somewhere else it was advised that I try resetting my ACLs, which I did, but once I reenabled Spotlight indexing on my drive the issue returned and while indexing the space dropped down to 8GB or lower. On reboot, I got back up to 10.5GB though that is now dropping....
Thanks for following up. No local backups listed - zero KB.   kernel_task is spending ~18-20% CPU and 80 threads, though only 334MB RAM which seems normal from what I can tell. mds is chugging away with ~4-9% CPU too but it has 1.23GB of real memory. Spotlight's status bar when you click the magnifying glass doesn't say it's indexing anything and seems to be searching okay, so is this unusual?     EDIT: Holy balls, mds is using 29GB of virtual memory. That...
Thanks for the fast reply. I have made various attempts with Grand Perspective and its similar ilk to drill down what's filling it up. Biggest space suck is Users - Music, Pics and the like though there's 15GB of Application Support, predominantly from Opera Mail caches. There's 10GB of Library/Application Support though again that's mostly GarageBand and Logic. There's 7GB in private/var/vm in sleep image. Other than that, nothing stands out.   I have contrasted the...
I've had a recurring problem with my MacBook Pro (late 2008 model, 10.8.3). I'll get a 'your hard drive is almost full' message and then, if left unchecked, a 'your hard drive is full' alert. And sure enough, when I open a Finder window I can watch as my space just trickles away to nothing. I used to have 20GB free on my drive - now it hovers at 11 or so and then just disappears. Restart restores the space back to 11GB or so but after a few minutes it starts...