or Connect

Posts by ascii

I don't mind if OS X gets a flat look, the original Mac OS was flat. It's the transparency I don't like, they think it puts content first, but it just makes things hard to read and cluttered looking.
It was a smart move hiring an ex-Google person as CEO. The most important thing for Yahoo at this point in history is not to be intimidated by Google, and an ex-Googler probably wouldn't be.
Yahoo was the biggest for a long time before Google came along. If only they had had "Samsung Ethics" and had grabbed Google's technology straight away they could have stayed on top. But it's been so long now, surely Google's tricks must be known by the academic community and it is possible for Yahoo to get fairly close.
There is a definite difference between an automated action, such as playing the piano, and an automated evaluation, such as love. But there is also evidence we can change our evaluations over time. For example children who screw their face up at certain foods later grow to like them. Or you start off hating someone but learn to love them over time. I don't think there's a question that our evaluations are malleable, but there is a question of degree. I do not know if it is...
Careful, she's friends with Jony Ive, he might have advised on that :)
I think it may be possible to choose who you're attracted to, but only over the long term. In the moment, it's not a conscious decision, it's just an emotional reaction. But there's no such thing as magic, so our feelings must be happening some way, by some mechanism, and if that mechanism is mental there's no a priori reason to assume it's not maelable.  For example, we know the conscious mind can long term control the subconscious in cases such as playing the piano, or...
The thing with good UI design is that you're trying to make the controls seem obvious. But then if you succeed, people say "That's obvious, you can't patent that." So does that mean no decent UI can ever be patented?
Awww... look at the little squirrels playing Chess.
Somebody asked Tim Cook to provide figures on that at the last shareholder meeting and he got quite annoyed, so I wouldn't be so sure. The local power company, that typically powers entire towns and/or cities, probably has economies of scale that make it cheaper to just buy from them than try to generate your own. I don't think it is all about money for Tim.
I thought hydro power was generally not considered green energy, because damming rivers is bad for the wildlife. Or something.