or Connect

Posts by ascii

First 64-bit, now an extra core and 2GB RAM. We are getting closer to the day when a Mac ships with one of these.
It's interesting that it works with existing PayWave terminals. In terms of what the iPhone is transmitting over NFC, it must "look" like an ordinary wireless credit card to the terminal. It's like one of those universal TV remotes, you load all your credit cards on it and it can pretend to be each one.
That would be true if the market were saturated, but if it isn't, shouldn't there be purchases all the time from new buyers?
Yes it will explode in those markets, but only if it has a serious looking GUI that a businessman can take to his manager without getting a quizzical look back. The iPad will also take education by storm, but only if teachers feel they are giving the kids a serious learning tool, and not something to play with. This also requires a serious looking GUI, else teachers may revert to laptops just to get the seriousness a keyboard brings.
 ...except in Japan where they went through the roof. And Japan is known for it's cultural like of minimalism and cute things, both properties of the new GUI.
I agree. Spotlight has always been a local disk search, so if they are changing it to be an Internet search too, they should ask you. They should display a popup the first time you use it, asking "Do you want Spotlight to search only your local computer or the Internet too?" and then it should remember that setting. They shouldn't just automatically start sending the names of files you are looking for to Microsoft.
I'm sure the shops will figure out some way to track you... For example, if your device is in NFC range (10cm) it's probably also in Bluetooth range, and Bluetooth has a unique mac address.
You can do it with the watch and that doesn't have a network connection.
Not to mention the fact that you have to auth with your fingerprint, which is surely a big step forward over other systems.
It's already replaced Dashboard for me. I used the Calculator, weather and world clock on Dashboard, all of which this has. The only thing that would be nice is a translator widget. They come from the app store. Click on the "Great apps for OS X Yosemite" banner in the app store and there are some there.