or Connect

Posts by ascii

Is the data associated with individuals, or is it aggregated/anonymized? I guess it would depend on the experiment. I think the company Theranos has some good ideas. Their basic premise is that medical breakthroughs are not needed to cure a lot of things, just earlier detection. But people don't get tested frequently enough because you need to go to a mean nasty hospital and have several viles of blood taken. So they have reengineered many common blood tests so they can...
I guess I was assuming that highendedness presupposed exclusivity, i.e. to be high end at all, a product can't be available to everyone. But maybe that's not correct. If highendedness simply means "the best" and, due to the nature of the product, a lot of expense is not required to make the best, then a product can be both high-end and low-end at the same time (minus the gold unibody). Let's see if Apple can pull it off.
C'mon it's obvious they copied. You have to go through the motions for legal reasons, but enough is enough. Can't judge Koh just find her common sense, fine Samsung a metric f ton of money, then all parties can move on and get back to inventing the next generation of technologies.
It is a good idea to use people's mobile phones to gather data for medical experiments. Compare this with Google whose first thought is gathering people's info for advertising. I read an article today (on Ars) about a group of people who are going through past scientific papers and trying to reproduce the results. About half could not be reproduced. This makes me think scientists need better data (e.g. ResearchKit) and less ego (that part is up to them).
 But isn't a high-end fashion image mutually exclusive with a PC World gadget image? How can they hope to do both? Maybe those fashion contracts, which were their initial approach, were made months in advance and we are just seeing their completion, but Apple has already changed strategy. Only time will tell.
I don't know if it's sales related or something else, but it does seem like a change of direction. I suspect it's more to do with the reception the fashion world has given it. Apple tried to convince the fashionista that it was an fashion accessory not a gadget, they had Christy Turlington Burns and all those high end fashion magazine shoots, and gave a special preview to Anna Wintour. But perhaps despite it all those people are not convinced, meaning it would be a waste...
So much for the Watch being a piece of jewellery that you make a special appointment to try on, part of Apple's transition to a luxury brand. These stores are your usual high street electronics retailers where you buy TVs and $300 HP computers from.
Maybe El Capitan will be released at the event? The betas have been getting closer together.
Won't they call it the iPad Plus, to match the naming of the larger phone?
Markets in Asia lost 4-5% on Monday. If the US follows suit, Apple should end up just under $100.