or Connect

Posts by ascii

In Unix software versions the first number incrementing means new features that break compatibility, and the second number incrementing means new features that don't break compatibility, and the third number incrementing means bug fixes. They are just 3 separate numbers not some sort of decimal.
Why do you think wearables is a fad? For a thinking animal like human beings, a computer is surely a hugely useful thing, and if we can build it in to our clothes, more the better.
It's great if they can get an iPad Air revision out so quickly. I guess once you've figured something out there's no reason not to get it out there. I would like to see a fingerprint sensor and 2GB RAM. Thinner of course is always nice.
Yes, I wonder if there's a formal contract announcement between Apple and Nike forthcoming? Maybe the iShoe.
The other thing about open source that a lot of people don't realise is that it's mostly developed by companies anyway, not some Utopian ideal of the citizenry spontaneously developing their own solutions. Look at the Linux commits, 75% from companies.  http://apcmag.com/linux-now-75-corporate.htm Surprise, surprise most people want to get paid when they work.
I think it's short sighted of them. Eventually computers will become built in to our clothes, the wristwatch will only be a stepping stone, and shoes will be one of the first items of clothing due to the ample room in the sole. They should have kept up their efforts.
I don't mind if OS X gets a flat look, the original Mac OS was flat. It's the transparency I don't like, they think it puts content first, but it just makes things hard to read and cluttered looking.
It was a smart move hiring an ex-Google person as CEO. The most important thing for Yahoo at this point in history is not to be intimidated by Google, and an ex-Googler probably wouldn't be.
Yahoo was the biggest for a long time before Google came along. If only they had had "Samsung Ethics" and had grabbed Google's technology straight away they could have stayed on top. But it's been so long now, surely Google's tricks must be known by the academic community and it is possible for Yahoo to get fairly close.
There is a definite difference between an automated action, such as playing the piano, and an automated evaluation, such as love. But there is also evidence we can change our evaluations over time. For example children who screw their face up at certain foods later grow to like them. Or you start off hating someone but learn to love them over time. I don't think there's a question that our evaluations are malleable, but there is a question of degree. I do not know if it is...