or Connect

Posts by ascii

It reminds me of when Bill Gates resigned as CEO of Microsoft to become Chief Software Architect, basically giving up any management responsibilities and just focussing on the software side of things (or in Jony's case the design). I think they are laying the groundwork for him leaving in a couple of years. An article on another Mac site suggests he wants to raise his kids in the UK.

Again, thanks for the info and links. I went to my local Apple Store today and they had some, but stock was so tight they said they weren't putting any out on display, based on the logic that they looked the same as the old ones anyway (of which they had a couple left). Which was no good for me because I was going to try and find a way to benchmark the GPU! But from your links it looks like some other people have already done it. Maybe I need to readjust my thinking on...
I think they are reaching the limits of what can be done with silicon, but there are other elements that can be used. A computer is just a machine that manipulates information, there must be a hundred ways to implement that.
Thanks for the advice Marvin. Based on what you said I think I should probably wait at least for some independent testing of the GPU in the new MBP. If it is close to 2x what I have I will go ahead, but if it's only really the SSD that will be massively faster, maybe the purchase isn't worth it. Actually part of the reason I am worried about the Skylake MBPs being cut down too much is your past confidence that they will switch to purely iGPUs at some point.
 I'm not waiting. I have the 2012 (original Retina) MBP. I follow the rule of "Everything has to double," before I will upgrade. In this case the SSD is more than 2x faster than my current one (it is about 4x faster), the GPU is about twice as fast as my GeForce 650M (Apple says it's 80% faster than a 750M so I'm extrapolating) and it has 2GB of graphics mem instead of my current 1GB, and I have 8GB of main memory and it comes with 16GB standard.  The only thing that is a...
That's amazing! Are there any other laptops out there with an SSD so fast?
Why do the pictures of the new Macbook Pro in the Store have a flower on the screen instead of Yosemite? Were the old ones like that, or have they just accidentally leaked the name of the new OS X?  
But if they were surprised by the success of the bigger phones, then (by virtue of being surprised) they might decide they can't trust  their own reasoning on the issue of bigger screens, and just need try it and see. In which case arguments about different problem domains and use cases would be discarded simply because they're argments and not experimental evidence.
 I think you might be right, the Watch has come in at the bottom (in terms of screen size) and they are pushing everything else up a slot, to wit:- rumour on this site that there would be no 4" iPhone in this years refresh, only the larger ones- persistent rumors of an iPad Pro- Apple's lightest laptop is now 12" whereas a few months ago it was 11" Or maybe they were taken by surprise by the huge success of the bigger iPhones and now they're going to try the same thing on...