or Connect

Posts by ascii

I recently bought one of these cheap ($739 Australian dollars) next gen 4K monitors and wanted to post my experiences with it, with both OS X and Windows.   First, the basic specs. It is a 28" 3840x2160 display with a TN panel. The reason I say "next gen" is that it is one of the first 4K monitors to not use a tiled display. It has new controller hardware that can do 4K@60Hz over a single SST DisplayPort connection. So it appears to the OS as just a normal, single...
I think it looks like a dog's breakfast too.  If you watch the "Adapting Your App to the New UI of OS X Yosemite" talk, it sounds like this is not a work in progress, but pretty much the finished product. They even explain the principles behind why they made it that way. But you would think something based on principles would look more consistent.
Exactly. It's like you go to the movies and see a bunch of teenagers walking out saying how this was the "Greatest movie ever," and you were yawning the whole time because it was exactly the same as 5 movies you've seen before.
Well, you're delaying a bunch of stuff that is normally done at compile time until runtime, that can't take no time, especially on a resource constrained device. If you have a way to make it take no time, please backport this to the compile time stage so I can have an instantaneous compiler, which would be great.  If you agree that it will take some time, but there will be additional information available at runtime that will allow the compiler to make optimizations such...
Thanks for taking the time to read and understand the point I was trying to make. I think your version of Microsoft's history is probably more accurate than mine but I stand by my model of what the near future holds and the best way for Apple to prepare for it.
I predicted Metal 2 days ago: post #68  (almost)   I said they should make low level graphics API to replace OpenGL, but it should cover Mac and iOS - what they delivered only covers iOS.
Are you sure about that? In the Swift demo in the State of the Union video, at about the 21 minute mark, he explicitly says that it has it's own runtime, and that "much of the functionality is not baked in to the compiler, but is done in the runtime which itself is written is Swift." He says that even core things like Int are defined in the runtime! That sounds like a very dynamic, runtime-y, script-y language to me.
At this point in history, the age of miniturization, improving developer productivity must come second to hardware efficiency. Currently Apple's entire system is written in C/C++/ObjC which is very efficient, and a major strategic advantage for the company. i.e.Microsoft (due to their use of .NET) and Google (due to their use of Java) will not be able to release an iRing (for example) until a Ring form factor device can be manufactured that has 512M of RAM and an 800MHz...
Your argument is out of date. It might have been convincing if this was the early 2000s but it's 2014 now. Back then everyone was on PCs and it was more memory and more CPU cycles as far as the eye could see. At that point it made sense to give up a bit of efficiency for some ease of development. But all that changed in 2007 with the introduction of the iPhone, suddenly specs reset again, 128MB of RAM and a 400MHz 32-bit processor was the new baseline. We had entered the...
True. I have watched the few sessions that have been streamed to the WWDC app so far and will watch more as they appear, so there could be something really great coming. But nothing in the dev section of the keynote was really revolutionary. If you follow blogs like Lambda the Ultimate then everything in Swift is old news.