or Connect

Posts by ascii

She has just done a movie about a computer genius - the Alan Turing movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1dgyHJ1e8
Oh my God, what would the keynote scenes be like if Tom Cruise accepted :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCEYxs7kWmQ
There are two ways to compete. Use the same technology as everyone else and compete on price, or try to develop something better and compete on features not price. There is room for both in the world. The first kind is good because it means more people can afford things. The second is good because it pushes technology forward faster. But I do agree they should not develop everything in house, only when they can't find a good enough supplier already. For example with the...
It's the same thing though, whatever you store in your Documents directory is what shows up as your app's folder in iCloud drive, and anything you save there is automatically pushed to the cloud and then back down to all your other signed in devices. The system as a whole is designed for individual apps creating their individual documents. If they allow someone using Transmit to use iCloud as a general file store, you'll get someone uploading a couple of 4GB movies from...
Well, just read the iOS Data Storage Guidelines. The whole thing is phrased in terms of one app storing it's user generated documents, and how to keep data to a minimum so as to not fill up the users cloud or take too long to sync. That is the model of app they are thinking of and writing about. The idea of a file transfer app storing all kinds of miscellaneous files in the cloud does not even seem to have occurred to them. In that situation I would ask instead of just...
According to Panic's blog, Apple were very helpful with Coda's sandboxing issues:"Apple, to their considerable credit, spent a lot of energy assisting us with ideas, workarounds, and temporary exemptions we might be able to use to get around some of the issues. Apple genuinely went above and beyond the call of duty, and we’re really thankful for their help. We got extremely close and jumped over a lot of tricky hurdles thanks to them." (their emphasis, not...
 The rules aren't arbitrary, they're there to protect user privacy and security. And if developers really cared about their users, instead of the sanctity of their creations, they'd find a way to follow them. Just read any tech site any day of the week and you should know this is the age of malware. Developers need to adapt to this new reality instead of spitting the dummy at OS security restrictions. The old days when you had access to the entire filesystem will never...
 Yes. The typical iOS app has it's own custom document format which the user creates instances of and saves (e.g. a drawing, text document, spreadsheet...). Transmit uploads many kinds of documents, none of which were authored in the app. Rightly or wrongly, that is obviously an exception to the way iOS apps usually work, so a non-diva company would have asked Apple about it up front before they started coding.
 I don't think it's anything to do with US decline, it's just that Global Logistics and the Internet make it possible for a company to be globally spread out now and still function.
Panic are divas in my opinion. They recently removed nearly all their apps from the Mac App Store because they didn't like the rules, and now they are caught breaking the iOS App Store rules. And yet somehow thousands of other software houses are able to publish a variety of apps with no problems.   It will come back to bite them in the end because each year half of Mac sales are to users new to the platform. And they mostly come from iOS, so will assume that if...