or Connect

Posts by ascii

Their website looks good. I'll check it out, thanks. Edit: Oh, it also appears to be US only.
Unlimited books to read, that's like my dream product. US only, *sigh*.
Good video. Scientific and clearly explained (until the bow and arrow bit, don't know what that proved).
I think it's just the use of the word "free" that is annoying the bureaucrats. It means "free to download" (that's why it's on the download button) but they take it as meaning the product, in it's entirety, is free (which it isn't in the case in IAP).
You shouldn't have to have an "iTunes account balance," and you shouldn't have a "credit card." You should have a Bank Account.   iTunes Store should be able to debit this, by giving your permission via a digital signature, when you sign up to iTunes.    That is the simplest possible solution. Steve Jobs loved simple and it was why Apple succeeded. iTunes Pass is just more complexity.
I don't think this will be very popular in Australia because, quite often, one of the big 3rd party electronics chains (not Apple Stores) will have iTunes Gift Cards on special (e.g. 10% off). Kids mostly buy them up at those times. Unless Apple themselves intends to let you charge $100 on to your account for the price of $90?
Hopefully some of the people let go were the ones who designed the GUI for Windows 8. There are open source (i.e. designed for free) GUIs that are better than that.
Where does the iBeacon fit in here? If companies are to turn IBM big data analytics on their own operations (i.e. to find efficiencies) they will possibly need trackers/sensors around the enterprise.
I don't really see the use case. Adults will just tie their credit card to their iTunes account and never bother with passes of any sort. Young people will just buy iTunes gift cards, and typically wait until they're on special.   Maybe Apple intends to replace iTunes gift cards with this paperless solution over time.
Apple won't dislodge Microsoft from the enterprise by partnering with IBM. I think the lesson from the past few years is that it takes some kind of disruptive hardware change to dislodge software monopolies. It was the switch from desktop to mobile devices that caught MS flat flooted in the consumer space. It wasn't years of effort on Linux. Likewise in the server room: MS got there in the first place when rack mount commodity servers displaced Big Iron. IBM can win that...