or Connect

Posts by ascii

Yes. And if it is successful, the next logical step will be to give it a body so it can pick things up for you, instead of just answering questions. And shortly after that... they take over ;-)
Gah, I will be disappointed in they go that route. I have a dream of one day getting rid of my dedicated gaming PC and just doing everything on the Mac.
They aren't going to unseat the iPad. When there's an established product in a market, a new arrival has to be a *lot* better or people will just keep using what they're used to. I can see Microsoft trying for many years and getting close, but I can't see them ever get a *lot* better than the iPad. Apple is no slouch about updates.
 I am hoping Apple will support this one on the current Mac Pro:http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=UP275K3 It needs 2 DisplayPort 1.2 cables. They already explicitly support the Dell UP2414Q and UP3214Q 4K monitors http://support.apple.com/en-au/HT6008 So adding support for the UP2715K would not be a totally new thing. The only question is, this is dual MST (4 tiles over 2 ports). How hard is that to code? Is it part of the MST spec...
Photographs never do justice to jewellery items. You have to see them in person to really appreciate the craftsmanship.
I don't think the extreme res of the iMac will be a performance problem. The thing you want with games, is for it to look as realistic as possible. Think of a drawing of a stick figure on a computer screen. If you pump up the res, does it look any more realistic? No, it's still just a crap drawing, only sharper.   To make games more realistic you need to turn on all the effects: lighting, shadows, etc, not pump up the res. So the question of whether the Retina iMac will...
Wow, that's a brave prediction. Though I thought SolipsismY had a good point about jewellery norms, it's still Jony Ive doing the design and ever increasing thinness is one of his themes, a reflection of his minimalist aesthetic. I will be really surprised if the 2nd gen Apple Watch isn't thinner than the 1st gen.
Yes, that's a good point about the past precedents. They are really taking the jewellery thing to heart, so maybe we should look for norms from the jewellery market. Jewellery is more often a gift than something you buy for yourself, so there is an emotional attachment. But a watch is certainly something you would buy for yourself. But perhaps not a gold one. I don't know the answer to your metallurgy question.
All products go through a lifecycle where they start off premium and over time competition creeps in and the price drops. Apple usually doesn't bother with low margin products, content to own the high end of the market. Is there a high end for music, if so what does it consist of and how can Apple claim it? Is it lossless recordings or something else? Is it the kind of music sold, rare instead of top 10?
I don't think they will make it that you take in your gold watch and have the electronics replaced but you keep the same gold case. Because like every other Apple product they will want to make it thinner year after year. I agree with the person who said they will have a trade-in program. There is already precedent for that with iDevices. And it won't be a token trade-in price either, it will have to be at least the market value of the gold melted down, else they would get...