or Connect

Posts by ascii

Yes. The typical iOS app has it's own custom document format which the user creates instances of and saves (e.g. a drawing, text document, spreadsheet...). Transmit uploads many kinds of documents, none of which were authored in the app. Rightly or wrongly, that is obviously an exception to the way iOS apps usually work, so a non-diva company would have asked Apple about it up front before they started coding.
 I don't think it's anything to do with US decline, it's just that Global Logistics and the Internet make it possible for a company to be globally spread out now and still function.
Panic are divas in my opinion. They recently removed nearly all their apps from the Mac App Store because they didn't like the rules, and now they are caught breaking the iOS App Store rules. And yet somehow thousands of other software houses are able to publish a variety of apps with no problems.   It will come back to bite them in the end because each year half of Mac sales are to users new to the platform. And they mostly come from iOS, so will assume that if...
Saying that they are "showing off a variety of apps," is true but I don't think captures the depth of the concept Apple is demonstrating here.   Traditionally you have your data capture devices (cameras, microphones, sensors, motion capture, ...) in the field, and then you take your data back home for processing. This shows a new world where computers are so portable and so powerful that you just do the processing on the spot. That is a new concept I think.    One...
Every organization will have a small percentage of bad eggs, so incidents will always happen. Therefore you can not judge a system by the occurence of such incidents, you can only judge it by what happens after, what policies and procedures it has in place for when one does happen. Is it hushed up and brushed under the carpet (in which case it is a bad system) or is there an open investigation involving juries, standards of evidence, and as much objectivity as...
Protesting is ok but you shouldn't take over someone's business. Your right to voice your opinion does not cancel out their right to do business. You should do it in a public park or something like that.
I think Tim is right, if you are not paying then you are the product. But that doesn't mean advertising based business models are evil. Most ads are harmless. Just choose to pay a few bucks or choose to get spammed, whatever you're comfortable with. But always remember, as Robert Heinlein said, TANSTAALF.
It reminds of me of the Telsa Motors case when the New York Times made false claims about the vehicle's performance that were contradicted by the car's own logs.   A warning to the swindlers who have not yet adapted to the modern world: electronic devices and Internet servers keep logs.
You are an advertising profiler's nightmare :)
People are individuals of course, so no reason someone couldn't like Bach and fast food. But if you were writing a computer program that deduced from what songs people were listening to, what ads to show them, would you program that? I mean, on the balance of probabilities? Maybe the system is random/untargeted.