or Connect

Posts by ascii

A nice overview, with an impressive timespan going all the way back to the Amiga 500.   AMD provide the GPUs for both the Xbox One and Playstation 4, so they're not going anywhere. And Nvidia is favored by PC owners which, due to sheer computing power, is still the best experience for game lovers. "PC Master Race" as they say. So Nvidia aren't going anywhere either. Unless gaming goes fully mobile of course.   But I think the future holds a bifurcation, with mobile...
For $458,000? Mars?
It's good if you can find something you love in life, like he has with calligraphy. Steve Jobs was in to typesetting also.
That's worse than I thought. Maybe they shouldn't allow 3rd party apps on the first generation, similar to how the 1st iPhone didn't.
 It certainly seems like the beginning of one. I think you would have to start by making a list of all the actions of the body that are under voluntary control (e.g. breathing). Pulse rate for example is not under voluntary control (not directly anyway). And then try and mash all these together in to a new kind of interface. Flick your eye for this, tighten your arm muscle for that...  People who complain about the small touch screen, or the crown interface, are not...
 Subvocalising is just the words you hear in your head when you read to yourself. The thing is, I believe your body involuntarily sends nerve signals to the muscles in your throat while you are doing this, so it's not something you have to learn. I agree your concept is the ideal, I was just trying to think of a way we could get 99% of the way there with tech that is maybe 3-5 years away instead of 10-20. But as Dick Applebaum raised, I am also not sure if it's a...
You could still run those apps - on existing computers. Apple is not taking anything away anything you can currently do by releasing new, incompatible computers.  And I think they would rewrite those apps because it wouldn't be a rewrite, just be a recompile. It's not like the transition from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X where the system calls changed, and it's not like the transition from PowerPC to Intel where the CPU endianess and word sizes changed. Unless a program has some...
A mind interface would require a major breakthrough, but you could get pretty close just with highly sensitive external sensors. For example a neckband that can detect when you are subvocalizing, or a camera that can pick up the tiniest eye movements. So you can be sitting there hardly moving and yet in full control of a computer (yes, "hardly moving" is not the same as "only thinking" but it's pretty close). At All Things D Tim Cook was asked what the next big thing might...
What do you mean, it's still basically a Mac. You can run Terminal, open multiple programs in multiple windows, run Xcode, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Photoshop Elements. The only problem would be if the particular program you want to run is not on the App Store, but presumably if Apple were to release such a Mac, they would lobby more software developers to put their apps on the App Store. And the developers themselves, seeing which way the wind is blowing, might also bite...
Maybe in the workplace, for people designing 3d objects. Having it float in front of you and being able to walk around it might be an advantage. Or for doctors prior to surgery, being able to see a 3d model of the area they will be operating on.