or Connect

Posts by ascii

I thought only nerds argued about the relative superiority of different operating systems, but I don't think they were nerds if they stabbed each other with broken beer bottles. Nerds would throw math textbooks and thumbdrives at each other :)
Steve Jobs' Apple: "The computer for the rest of us." Tim Cook's Apple:   
Those were the days.   
 I don't think that would throw a computer, because they work by brute forcing the search space, not by memorizing a catalog of good starting moves.  If you increase the search space you might start seeing humans beat computers again. For example make the board 12x12 instead of 8x8 and give each player 12 pawns, 4 knights and 4 bishops. The human, who works through pattern matching, will still be just as good after a bit of practice. But the computer has no real skill, it...
They will be holding their collective breath at Apple now, hoping that on the 24th (which until a few hours ago was advertised as Launch Day) there aren't lines of people outside the stores.
It seems the Apple Watch launch day has been scrubbed. Apparently they were worried that people would see "launch day" and line up outside the stores and there would be no stock for them.
Same as athletes that take steroids I guess, they care more about the adulation than the feeling of having worked for something and earned it fair and square.
The web browser?
I'm sorry I don't actually have one to try.  The thing that surprised me about the Dell 5K inclusion is that Apple says it's supported on the Mac Pro *and* the Retina iMac (but no other Macs). But I thought it needed not only 2 Thunderbolt ports, but 2 Thunderbolt controllers, and only the Mac Pro has that.
 I have performed that test too, and I recommend it to anyone who thinks everyday tasks are no longer CPU-bound in today's world. The test is: browse around the Internet on your iPhone for a while, then tether it to you Mac so that the Mac is accessing the Internet through the celluar connection, and browse the Internet on the Mac. It will be *way* snappier, on the same Internet connection. And another thing to ask yourself, if you believe web browsing can no longer be CPU...