or Connect

Posts by ascii

What these companies really want is to lock customers in, right?    On the desktop, software applications are for serious work and very expensive, meaning that people will tend to get locked in to a particular OS. So being an OS vendor is how to lock people in to you on that platform.    But that won't work on tablets. The App Store has made software very cheap: less than $5 or free, so being an OS vendor is not the plum position on tablets that it is on desktops, from...
Yes, the iPad is the better dev platform, and more likely to be used by serious people.    But also, strategically, if Nadella is a cloud guy and wants to take Microsoft in that direction, he may view Google as Microsoft's new biggest enemy, since Google is king of the cloud.
I saw one of these monitors yesterday in the Sydney Apple Store. The staff had hooked it up with an HDMI cable instead of DisplayPort so it was only running at 30Hz (not the best way to advertise your products) but still - the screen was massive with a beautiful quality image. I haven't seen OS X in such glory since the days of the 30" Cinema Display (of which I had one).
They should have charged something small (e.g. $1.99) just for the basic viewer! With all the iPad users it would have added up to millions.
That's exactly right. There is a lot of stuff app writers don't write these days, they just link to libraries, and a lot of those are in the OS. Probably more than 30% of the code that's actually running when you use Word is Apple's.
Good on them. They will make a fortune on this and it will make Steve Ballmer look foolish for not doing it when he was in charge.
Surely one of the graphics card companies like Nvidia or AMD would be the most sensible home. Or a console maker. Don't really understand the Facebook angle. But wow, did he get a good price. Had they even shipped a product yet or were they still at the prototype stage?
I would like to buy Word for Mac from the Mac App Store, but don't know that I would buy it for my iPad.   Also, I think device management is really something that should be done by the OS vendor.
Anandtech's currently recommended system for 4K gaming is 2 Radeon R9 290x in Crossfire. That's more powerful than the new Mac Pro, let alone the iMac. I do think there will be a 4K iMac but gaming will still have to be done at 1080p.
There is one important difference between real savings in the bank (whether from individuals or companies) vs just printed money from the Federal Reserve. Without printed money, the very fact that you can get a loan to start your business means that somewhere out there, someone must be saving. i.e. someone must have surplus funds. i.e. a potential customer for new businesses. Surplus funds serve as a market signal to open new businesses. With printed money it is sending a...