or Connect

Posts by ascii

I wonder if this is why the iTunes Radio rollout is stalled? It launched in the US (of course) and then later in Australia. You would expect it to have reached Canada and the UK by now, but no. One explanation is legal hurdles, but maybe another is that Apple themselves have deliberately stopped it because it will be replaced by iTunes Beats in the near future.
Yes, an excellent movie and part of my collection. He's quite recognisable too even though a kid. Some people are like that, they don't change much in looks throughout their life. Other people are almost unrecognisable every 20 years.
I think you also have to uncheck item 2 in that list, "Spotlight Suggestions" and then open Safari and uncheck "Include Spotlight Suggestions" in the Search tab to disable all sending of search queries to the Internet. But that doesn't change the fact that it started sending them without asking first. How hard is it to pop up a dialog and ask whether you want your searches to be local only or go out to the Internet? 1 line of code to pop up the query sheet + 10 more lines...
The fact that OS X now sends your search terms to Microsoft without asking (opt-out), makes Tim Cook's trip to China to talk about privacy seem a little ridiculous.
Maybe look in System Preferences, Extensions icon, Today item, and make sure the ones you want are selected.
Didn't Steve used to say that if you make a great product then the rest will take care of itself? In that sense a minimalist Apple Store design suited, because it allowed the products to shine, with the least other stuff getting in the way. But does minimalism work as a general purpose approach to stores, regardless of product?
I like the idea of buying software within the operating system it will run on, rather than on the web, e.g. Apple's App Stores. This could be extended, e.g. your wardrobe could have a clothes store built in, your pantry or fridge could have a food store built in.   The web is general purpose and, as others have said, the wild west. There should always be a wild west lowest common denominator platform to let startups get their start on, but more professional custom built...
I think he could pull it off. He has an intelligent looking face and a bit of charisma.
There's a website about it now: https://fix-macosx.com   And interestingly Ubuntu, who introduced a similar thing in Ubuntu 12.04 (but they automatically sent your search queries to Amazon, not Microsoft) has now announced they will be making it opt-in as of Ubuntu 15.04. I think opt-in is the right way to go.
The only other possibility is that it's some kind of hyper threading equivalent, and one of the cores is virtual. But then you would expect 2 virtual cores, 1 for each real. The fact that it's an odd number of cores suggests 3 real cores to me.