or Connect

Posts by ascii

Re screen sizes, well, most people buy laptops still. And extra res is now being used for sharpness not space. Re thinner fonts potentially becoming ugly or illegible, yes, there does need to be a balance, but I think other OSes have shown that you can go a lot smaller and still be successful. One area where this font size issue manifests is the Finder. People have been saying for years "Fix the Finder." It has been said so much it even has it's own abbreviation: FTF. And...
Fundamentally Intel CPUs don't do anything that ARM CPUs can't, they're both just Turing machines and all Turing machines are equivalent. The GPU question is an important one, mobile GPUs are a long way behind desktop ones. But still, look at some of the 3D graphics on the iPad these days, good enough for all but AAA games. I don't know how they would perform on CAD or technical apps, that is some important testing Apple has to do in their labs before making the leap.
It should be nice and quiet, it's only a 15W CPU. Especially if you upgrade to an SSD.
Yes, there is a similarity between the Air and iMac updates. It makes you wonder if Apple might switch to their own ARM CPUs at some point.
That's a good point. I remember when I switched from dual to quad core it was quite a noticeable difference, which I wasn't expecting at the time. Things are more multi-threaded than they were a few years ago.
I wonder how many more of Kuo's predictions will come true? If he is right there's nothing for 2 months now, then an iPad update.  
I think the 1.4GHz figure might be a bit misleading - look at the Turbo Boost 2.7GHz. That is way more than most Intel CPUs boost by.  
1.4GHz? Wow that is quite a bit lower than the iMac has been for a while. I wonder what the thinking is on this? Maybe the cooling is designed so that it will stay in Turbo Boost (2.7GHz) most of the time.
I really like this theme. If you use it with the Solid Aqua Graphite background colour the OS looks quite tasteful. But then you open a Finder window and look at the icons in the toolbar and it doesn't look quite so good.   I actually don't believe Jony Ive had any input in to this GUI. He must be head of the department at an executive level but doesn't have any day to day involvement in actual product design. Because Apple's hardware is *so* tasteful, but their GUIs...
One thing that was announced at WWDC that I haven't seen get much coverage was a new hypervisor.framework for OS X. This should make it possible to make Parallels and VMware work without drivers, which means they will then be eligible for the Mac App Store. So I wonder in the next year whether we will see Parallels on the Mac App Store? The competition is fierce between them and VMware, and whoever doesn't do it will be at a big disadvantage in terms of visibility to...