or Connect

Posts by ascii

The underlying programming language (Java) has been cross-platform since it's inception, what they seem to be adding is cross-platform services (which is Google's bread and butter) and packaging the whole thing up in to a platform.   I guess HTML5/Javascript is really supposed to be the lowest common denominator non-proprietary platform that all computers large and small support, but we'll see where this goes.
I think he's right more than half the time isn't he? With the exception of Jim Dalrymple and his "Nope"'s, Kuo is possibly the single most reliable source of rumors. But he has not predicted new software features and he did not predict the new Mac Pro (which is made in the USA) so he probably has a source in the Asian supply chain. 
Definitely. He has probably paid someone in the supply chain somewhere. But as a reporter I guess his sources are protected. Apple should still try to find out how he's doing it.
He's usually right about hardware features. This could indeed be revolutionary depending on the level of imagination applied. And it seems likely to catch the competition off guard in the same way 64-bit did.
I saw Steinfeld in Ender's Game and True Grit and liked her in both. It's quite disturbing to see her with such a blank look on her face, someone who was such a strong character in those movies made in to an object. This is my least favorite of the Apple Watch modelling photos so far.
I agree with this law. It is the UK government that maintains law and order in the UK, and therefore creates an environment where Apple can conduct commerce and make a profit in the first place. Asking for 20% of that profit to pay for said law and order is not unreasonable, and Apple shouldn't try to get out of it.
 It does seem to lack a killer app, unless notifications is it. But new form factors sometimes make new apps possible that couldn't be done on previous form factors. So even if existing form factors are more optimal for all known apps, we still have to withold judgment until we see if any new ones arise.
I just think that computers get smaller and smaller as time goes by, so at a certain point it will make more sense to wear them than carry them around.  What kind of interface it will have at that point I don't know. It could have a Bluetooth connected contact lens that gives the augmented reality you describe, I wasn't saying it was inevitable that our wearables will be wristwatches.  But the wristwatch is a form factor that people have proven willing to wear in the past...
You need to focus your engineering resources on what the current bottleneck is. That is why Apple is focussing on the GPU in iOS devices and on the SSD in Macs. I don't know what Samsung is doing with all those CPU cores.   The Kronos group has published Vulcan now, which is their own low level graphics API, so I wonder if Apple will continue with Metal or switch to Vulcan? Much like AMD published their own Mantle low level API, but now there's DirectX 12, which is a low...
We can safely predict that wearables will take over from smartphones in the long term. Long term tech trends are easier to predict than short term ones. But whether this particular product at this particular time will be successful, I don't think anyone knows.    The first sign will be when the preorders go live on the 10th, how long it takes to sell out.