or Connect

Posts by ascii

It's interesting that they now put the iPad and iMac together in an event, with the iPhone separate. Their phone is something people upgrade nearly every year, but their computer or tablet is something they only upgrade every few years. In terms of form factor you'd think the iPhone and iPad belong together, but in other aspects the iPad best fits with the Mac.
Yep, the dialog where you enter a password for a disk image looks different too.
Thanks for that info. I have downloaded it but won't have time to take a proper look until Tuesday. I was one of the suckers who paid full price for Windows 8, so hopefully their will be an upgrade discount for me.
With their new payment system coming out, Apple needs more than ever for people to trust their platforms. The current safe reputation of the Mac has to stay. I think it's time they took the step of making Macs only run software from the App Store.   It would reduce the number of security incidents (because even if the user enters their password the computer still wouldn't run software not signed by Apple). Also it would force certain Mac software companies such as Panic...
 I can't just think of a list of them off the top of my head. What happens is, in the the context of doing a job, you Google for a solution and 9 times out of 10 you find an open source solution written in C and against Unix. Because like it or loathe it, this is still the Lingua Franca of programming. And if you're not working in a language where you can easily link to that code, you're reinventing the wheel unneccesarily, which is supposed to be a big no-no in computer...
Edit: nm.
Yep. People say it's market size that attracts developers, but really it's money, with the assumption being that a bigger market means more money. But sometimes a smaller market of higher end devices will have more to spend.
Those might be tests but they're not real world tests. When did you last buy an app that had 5 buttons, each of which ran a different list sort? You say they're replacing ObjC not C, but that doesn't really make sense. ObjC is C when you're not doing OO. And you shouldn't be doing OO everywhere, OO is great for GUI control libraries, collection classes, or anywhere there's a natural hierarchy in the business domain but elsewhere you'd just be using the tools for the sake...
Nice choice of review for Goat Simulator, pure gold.   This article is spot on, Android's problem is "Software squandering expensive hardware." What the article doesn't mention is that Apple is heading down the same road with their switch from C to Swift, which sacrifices runtime performance to make life easier at coding time. In other words it puts the needs of the coder ahead of the needs of the user.   Ironically, as the comment from the Five Nights at Freddy's...
They have given up on one GUI to rule them all, but they haven't given up on one OS to rule them all. They have a concept called Continuum whereby as you add or remove hardware (e.g. connecting or removing a keyboard from your tablet) the GUI changes to best match the current hardware. If you plug a mouse in, the start menu replaces the start screen, etc. That's their long term vision anyway.   Apple doesn't have any combo devices like this so they only need one GUI per...