or Connect

Posts by ascii

English is famous for stealing words from other languages. Here is a nice quote from James Nicoll: "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."   What the US is to nations (taking the best of all cultures without prejudice) English is to...
3D graphics are so complicated these days that most game developers use off the shelf engines rather than rolling their own. That has two implications: 1. Metal might very well be a success, because Apple does not need to convince many individual developers to switch to it, just a handful of 3D engine vendors. And they already had some of these guys on stage at WWDC. 2. Apple's goal can not be platform lock-in, since games are written to the engines, which can use...
The official charts just include abstract black and white representations, e.g. Emoticons: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F600.pdf Misc. Symbols: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F300.pdf Everything: http://www.unicode.org/charts/   It's up to individual fonts to render letters with certain styling, or faces with certain colours.
Yes, the drop shadows definitely fool my perception in to thinking there is depth. But you raise an excellent point, there are many ways to show depth that don't effect legibility. Regarding the fonts, I believe it is not standard Helvetica they are using but one with tweaks for GUI elements (this is from watching one of the WWDC talks). Personally I don't like the current system font OR the new one. They both take too much horizontal space. If their argument for making...
Titanium Macbook Pro... Aluminium Macbook Pro... Sapphire Macbook Pro? :)
These IP cases just seem to go round and round in circles making the lawyers rich.
Yes. I even have some of the API code here for those interested: // Apple HealthKitBOOL AppleWillFailAtThis(){    return YES;} // Google Fitboolean andSoWillGoogle(){    return true;}
That is a excessive fine. Intel should increase the prices of their chips in the EU to cover it.
Well, the Internet is a big bad place and your home computer probably less so, that is a reason enough to segregate search. e.g. a family has young children that use the computer. On Mavericks they type pussy cat in to Spotlight and they get the pictures they drew for a school assignment. On Yosemite they do the same thing and, well, what happens when you type pussy in to an Internet search engine? Or the same argument could be made for adults in the workplace, someone...
What about the new icons though? Don't you think it would have been more consistent (and probably prettier) to make them all front-on like iOS? I understand why they would want to be quite conservative in changing GUI controls, I mean, professionals use these boxes for doing real work, and you don't want to pull the rug out from under them. But icons? There's no need to be conservative there. Icons are only used once, when launching an app, not hundreds of times in a...