or Connect

Posts by ascii

Didn't Steve used to say that if you make a great product then the rest will take care of itself? In that sense a minimalist Apple Store design suited, because it allowed the products to shine, with the least other stuff getting in the way. But does minimalism work as a general purpose approach to stores, regardless of product?
I like the idea of buying software within the operating system it will run on, rather than on the web, e.g. Apple's App Stores. This could be extended, e.g. your wardrobe could have a clothes store built in, your pantry or fridge could have a food store built in.   The web is general purpose and, as others have said, the wild west. There should always be a wild west lowest common denominator platform to let startups get their start on, but more professional custom built...
I think he could pull it off. He has an intelligent looking face and a bit of charisma.
There's a website about it now: https://fix-macosx.com   And interestingly Ubuntu, who introduced a similar thing in Ubuntu 12.04 (but they automatically sent your search queries to Amazon, not Microsoft) has now announced they will be making it opt-in as of Ubuntu 15.04. I think opt-in is the right way to go.
The only other possibility is that it's some kind of hyper threading equivalent, and one of the cores is virtual. But then you would expect 2 virtual cores, 1 for each real. The fact that it's an odd number of cores suggests 3 real cores to me.
First 64-bit, now an extra core and 2GB RAM. We are getting closer to the day when a Mac ships with one of these.
It's interesting that it works with existing PayWave terminals. In terms of what the iPhone is transmitting over NFC, it must "look" like an ordinary wireless credit card to the terminal. It's like one of those universal TV remotes, you load all your credit cards on it and it can pretend to be each one.
That would be true if the market were saturated, but if it isn't, shouldn't there be purchases all the time from new buyers?
Yes it will explode in those markets, but only if it has a serious looking GUI that a businessman can take to his manager without getting a quizzical look back. The iPad will also take education by storm, but only if teachers feel they are giving the kids a serious learning tool, and not something to play with. This also requires a serious looking GUI, else teachers may revert to laptops just to get the seriousness a keyboard brings.
 ...except in Japan where they went through the roof. And Japan is known for it's cultural like of minimalism and cute things, both properties of the new GUI.