or Connect

Posts by visionary

Here's the problem with audio.     Apple does a great job with their digital audio workstation (DAW) Logic X.  They sell it for $200.     Avid, which makes Pro Tools, Apple's big competitor in audio, sells their DAW for $700. Apple is killing Avid and all the other competitors.  Avid is going bankrupt.  Other DAWs are being sold off.  They just can't compete with on price.   The problem is that Apple only does a DAW but their competitors do so much more.  The...
Apple needs to do tv, cars, and home automation.     I know Apple has their Apple tv but they need to move from hobby stage to full blown cable replacement.  They need live tv for sports and news and they need to offer shows a la cart.  I could see 99 cent per hour show or something like that.  Maybe let us choose whether we want commercials or not.  That could lower the price  quite a bit.   Cars are a no brainer.  Cars need to make slots for iPads and iPhones.  You...
So, now that Apple has announced their new Mac Pro, I can see how well I did in my predictions.   1. I predicted Apple would announce the next big thing soon, possibly at the keynote, previewing what they were doing with the Mac Pro. Check.   2. I maintained that Apple had not abandoned the pros like a lot of people thought. Check   So far two for two.  However, this was not hard to guess.  After all, Apple said they were working on a new Mac...
hmm,   I too think spinning disks still have a place in today's computing.  I just think the main boot drive should be SSD.  This is the drive that should come standard on the new Mac Pro.  What you want to add extra is up to you.  If you want a RAID of HDDs then all the power to you.  However, I do not think Apple should force people into one thing or another when it comes to expanding the base system.  I did not say the system cannot use HDDs just that system...
My couple year old laptop I am typing on has no spinning hard drive.  Why is it so outlandish to suggest this for the next great computer?  My internal flash drive is so much faster than a spinning hard drive.  I think this is a no brainer really.  Sure my laptop drive is only 500 GB but it is also a couple years old.  Tech has improved since then.   I do not expect this new computer to be cheap.  Get an iMac if what you want is cheap.  But when it comes to doing...
All these people who think Apple has given up on pros need to get a clue.  Apple is preparing to launch the next big thing.  Whether it happens at this next Keynote is not important.  It will happen this year and probably soon.  All the clues point to one thing - and I am not just talking about an iWatch.   Apple has the money and the tech resources to design the future and that is what they have done.  That is why the Mac Pro has limped along.  It is not that Apple...
If I were running Apple, I would do a number of things.  I would work to get ARM chips faster and see if you can get to x86 speeds.  I would also be pushing Intel to bring their wattage needs down for the x86 yet still keep up the speed.  No need to only pick one solution and hope it works.  Keep an eye on both and use what works.   The big surprise will be the Xeon Phi family.  Again, Apple should look at all three solutions and use what works.  However, a fourth...
  You can ask one Olympian to lift 500 pounds or you can ask 10 normal people to help lift 50 pounds. Which is reality based? Both are. Is one solution better than the other? It depends. For many applications, many hands make light work. An ARM processor may be like the normal people and the latest x86 like the Olympic weight-lifter, but do I really care what is inside the machine if they can both accomplish the same work? No I don't.   One Olympic weight lifter cannot...
There is no question the iPhone and iPad products are great.  But these are great for personal computing and content consumption.  Laptops and iMacs are also great as desktop versions of personal computing and concept consumption.  Apple is hitting on all cylinders in these categories.     The question is what is the future of the Mac Pro. The big deal about the Mac Pro is that it is really overkill and not the best tool for a personal computer and content...
When it comes to UI design, people usually prefer what they know to that which is new. That is why so many people stick with Windows even though it has been vastly inferior over the years. Once they finally get over the initial hump, they find out the grass really is greener on the Mac side of the fence. I think that is what we will find with Final Cut. I am looking forward to the latest improvements and think a year or two from now everybody will be raving how...