or Connect

Posts by visionary

This guy is asking a valid question about Bose. I am an audio engineer and musician and know I have good ears and experience for evaluating sound systems. Unfortunately I do not know how good most Bose systems are. I have heard some and have good things to say about the systems I heard. Other systems didn't do so well. However, they offer many systems so the question is what system specifically are you interested in. I am sure Bose sells low and high end systems....
I've actually enjoyed the various posts on this thread. As a former Unix SysAdmin, it is good to get under the hood and hear guys talk about the engine, and well as all the old "hotrods" we used along the way. IT guys = the mechanics of the 21st century - just without the grease. However, there is more to a car than just the engine. People can throw every thing else all under the category of GUI but that is not correct. Some have brought up the frameworks and other...
Some people obviously haven't read the book Flatland. In that book, the author builds a world of 2 dimensional characters and has a 3d character intersect the 2D plane. However all the people who are stuck only seeing 2 dimensions don't get what a sphere is. They think it is just a circle. No matter how hard the sphere tried to convince them of a third dimension, the 2D people just couldn't get it. It is the same explaining why a Mac is better. Geeks are stuck...
So by analogy, is a Lexus just a a Ford with a fancy GUI? I think not. Same with Mac OS X just being UNIX + GUI. The problem is with the word "just". Mac OS X is Unix, no question. It also has a great GUI. But that is not all it is. Throw in apps, frameworks, etc and that still is not all it is. I think Apple is more than the sum of its parts. I would explain it as good design. It is hard to quantify and we can try, but don't get angry if we fall short. Good...
A lot of people don't really know what they are talking about, whether it is calling AppleTV a failure or that Apple killed the music industry. Just because some self called "analyst" or "expert" says something doesn't mean it is true. Just because something gets printed doesn't make it true. There are many reasons why the music industry is hurting. For example, music labels have traditionally owned multi-million dollar studios. Now with the latest computer...
I'd like to see integrated iSight camera, optional speakers that blend in with the design, and maybe high resolution. response times, and accuracy. I do not think they need anything bigger than 30" for now. Nothing too ground breaking just a solid update.
Not thinking outside the box? That's not the point of an app like this as far as I am concerned. How about a huge price drop compared to Photoshop CS3? That is the big deal here. There is no good reason most people need to pay $600 for Photoshop. Same for all the other Adobe apps. Innovation is not always about inventing a new way of doing things. Finding cheaper ways of doing things is just as important. I wish PixelMator good luck and I will be waiting for...
I would like to see Apple introduce an iLife Home Server app that holds the iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie Libraries. I also would like it to hold Garageband sample libraries. That way my wife, kids, and I can all access these libraries quickly and easily. I already have a XServe and XServe RAID up on my home LAN so I could roll it out quickly and easily. For those who do not already have something like this, Apple should introduce a repackaged XServe line as a iLife...
We all agree that a crummy online store, product integration, etc is no threat to iTunes. But what if a label like Universal, or all the labels did their own stores and did a good job at it? It is not that hard to download a iTunes Store clone and start shopping. First, making an iTunes Store clone and iTunes app clone is not rocket science. It can be done quickly and cheaply. Secondly, having this clone ecosystem do 99 cent sales of DRM-free music is not a...
I think the current debate misses the point. Apple's iTunes is only as good as the content it has for sale. If the big four labels jump ship and partner or start their own download store, what does Apple have to sell? Ownership of the content is very important. Right now, Apple doesn't own anything. This is a big weakness that can be exploited by its rivals. Fortunately the rivals haven't all "gone on strike at once" and, when they do try start a rival to iTunes,...