or Connect

Posts by joelbruner

Taking advantage of the 3D recognition, Siri will now ask you to: "Turn your head and cough" :)
When you support hundreds of Macs but start getting Lion only machines and performance drops off compared to 10.6 and 8GB isn't enough to keep beach balls and stalls away, then you know something's not right. Using the same software that worked fine in 10.6 but on 10.7 it's running out of free memory its pretty obvious and doesn't involve me thinking I know more than an engineer. It's a simple comparison.   This vid illustrates how inactive is released only in the...
Perhaps the fact that 10.7 machines consistently have inactive memory that is over half the total memory... While you'd think the system would automatically give this back - it MAY but it does so in such small increments that it slows the system to a crawl...   Just set a new user up on a MacBook Pro (Late 2011) with Migration Assistant, when I logged in as the user, I noticed it was crawling. Activity monitor had 2.3GB of inactive out of 4GB total and ~150MB free...
Looking closer at urftopdf is a clue... $ file /usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf /usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures /usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture x86_64)tMach-O 64-bit executable x86_64 /usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture i386)tMach-O executable i386 /usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture ppc7400)tMach-O executable ppc There is a PPC build! Now why would we need that?...
They key commands are pretty insane - I pride myself on knowing a lot of them, but today came accross the cmd-opt-ctrl-eject combos for sleeping, restarting, and shutting down. What gets me is that Apple is shipping keybaords with help buttons that do NOTHING! Why put a help button on your keyboard if the OS expects Cmd-? for help viewer? Or F13 and F14 which control brightness on iMacs and Apple displays, why not silk screen these on the keyboards, so what if someone...