or Connect

Posts by icfireball

SDW, leave personal attacks out of this. You don't need to prove your point by telling people what they "obviously" don't understand.   Anecdotal: (adjective) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.   1. To say that someone will not be re-elected because no one has ever been re-elected with unemployment above 7.3% is anecdotal because it's based on a small collection of examples (n=16) rather than a...
1. This is anecdotal. The sample size is 16. Only 16 presidents have run for re-election. 10 have been re-elected. 2. Today on gallup his approval rating is 50%. Also, what does "spells trouble" mean. This is vague. 3. This study is interesting, although it appears to be purely economic. There are other factors at play (although this economic certainly is a big one).  
And I welcome anybody else to use their magic formula full of bias. My point is that there is a difference between trying to prove something quantitatively and qualitatively. A quantitative approach is always more valid than a qualitative one. You can't say Romney is going to win just because of some random, unrelated set of facts and a good "feeling" you have.
Gosh, I haven't posted here in years. I thought I might take a peak just to see what's going on in this neck of the woods.   SDW, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but your argument is absurd. Your "data points" are a collection of unrelated facts mixed with some subjective commentary.   Your argument is similar to saying: It's raining right now in Dallas It's raining right now in New York It's raining right now in Chicago It's raining right now in...
To answer your question: yes, Final Cut Pro X does support Blu-Ray. And Apple has axed DVD Studio Pro and rolled it in to Final Cut (as they have also done with Color and Soundtrack). In fact, Final Cut Studio 3 already supported burning Blu-Ray disks. More importantly, Apple has never favored HD-DVD over Blu-Ray. Steve Jobs has resisted physical media since the beginning of the Blu-Ray HD-DVD spat, arguing that streaming was going to make it obsolete before adoption was...
I wrote a short piece and created a video for VeriSign's HowDoYou.com contest... The video includes a montage of old-school Internet (including some Apple website shots). The essay and video can be seen here: http://www.howdoyou.com/pages/ViewEntry.aspx?entry=1204 Enjoy the video and votes are appreciated! Thanks for helping a fellow AI-er out.
And what about all of those car crashes due to texting and talking on the phone?
It all make sense now. Remember when the iPhone 4 was discovered in the bar? It was in a case that made it look like an iPhone 3G/S... a case that made sure the antenna was never touched...
Apart from my own personal frustrations with the pre-order process, the security breeches are a serious issue and show a certain unacceptable unpreparedness on AT&T's part. As for me, here's how ridiculous my pre-order situation was: I'm in Alaska so I tried ordering at 4:00am EST, 12:00am AKDT. Couldn't get anywhere on either Apple's site or AT&Ts site. I tried for the next hour and a half with no luck, and decided to go to bed. I woke up the next day and got even less...
Tonton is right... invest in a high quality surge protector... ONE THAT COMES WITH AN INDEMNIFICATION POLICY. One of my has a $100,000 warranty and the other a $50,000 warranty. You're essentially looking at a one time $40-80 insurance cost. A surge protector probably won't be able to protect against a lightning strike, so some kind of indemnification is the best protection. And remember... backup your data frequently and often to a drive that is not usually plugged in.