or Connect

Posts by steveH

Yes, that and all those Chinese workers that get exploited by Apple that leads them to commit suicide, all those US jobs that Apple won't bring back, the overheating-gate, the 4G-gate, the size gain-gate, the weight gain-gate.... what am I missing?   An actual response?     - Foxconn/Honhai contract out for a lot more customers than just Apple.     - The suicide rate for F/H workers is at or below China's national rates.     - You think that increasing...
Bitter much? Ive has been quoted many times in the past several years commenting on Apple design and products. Do try to keep up, for a change.
And they were founded years ago, the hardware makers generally being spinoffs of companies like HP, Varian, Fairchild and others dating back as far as the 1930s. There is no question that California has become increasingly hostile to businesses operating in the state, and it's not getting better. More and more companies are either moving out, or limiting any expansion to areas outside California. A pity, really, it's a beautiful state with (still) enormous resources, both...
He can watch his favorite Flash pr0n sites. Mostly.
Now compare cost of living in China with that in the U.S., say in California, New York or Rhode Island.
I worked at Apple from late 1979 through 1985 and what's described in the article doesn't sound much different from working there back then, if a good deal better organized. I have to say that my time there was just about the most fun I had in 30 years in computer product engineering. And I never worked around any "robots", either.
Did you somehow miss his "...and a third company that hasn't yet been created."?
Have you looked lately at laptop vs desktop sales trends over the past five or so years? Desktops are moving pretty definitely into niche market territory. Considering sales figures include desktop machines sold into corporations, used as POS terminals and so on, it's even worse. Consider also that schools, which used to be big buyers of desktops are moving strongly toward replacing them with laptops.
If they did, they were ignored by Toshiba, whose Folio was a short-selling tablet from last year.
In real world practice, yes, that's generally what happens. Once a new OS ships, the previous version usually won't see any changes other than some minor bug or security fixes. Expending the major effort and expense of testing and qualifying new hardware is rarely justifiable.