or Connect

Posts by DarkRail

Am I missing something?  I've been using my iPhone as a "central command" for my home for two years:  most lights, HVAC, gate, garage door, etc.  I use Insteon devices and the MobiLinc app.  This isn't a future prediction, this is old news.     Maybe I need a job as an analyst.  I hereby predict that someday we'll be able to use our phones to throw disgruntled birds at architecturally crafty pigs.  
  "NewsRack" is pretty great.  I use it exclusively with my Google Reader account.  Easy to add or delete subscriptions.  It's fast and very simple (be sure to turn off the silly, cumbersome "newspaper look" graphic mode on the iPhone), and everything always stays in sync between iPhone/iPad/desktop.  Been using it daily for years, love it.  
Thank you! I have now adopted your "five seconds of hate" policy. I used to just flit my eyes away from such ads, try not to see them, but I like your thinking much better. I also applaud the 1984 allusion in your method's title. Regarding the Google Maps ads, a little perspective: While I'm strongly against letting adware into the core of the iPhone, at the same time I'm so thankful that we're arguing about a relatively small flaw here. The iPhone's overall...
Hey, I think we agree. Just based on the number of people here that seem bothered by the new ads, I'm not the only person who doesn't like flies in my soup. And you're right: Google's "flies" are far less annoying than the way most companies do it. That said, I'd personally prefer to have no annoyances whatsoever. Apple has always bet that a segment of us will feel this way. Instead of suggesting this to Google though, I'll just keep supporting Apple for their...
Until today, I used Google Maps on my iPhone. I'm not telling you you're wrong, just that you like different things than I do. My only point is that some people really value the way Apple generally operates without relying on ad revenue. Believe me, if Google had an ad-free version of their website that cost a couple bucks a month, I'd subscribe!
Well good for you: you're someone who doesn't mind ads. You're in the majority. The world is heading your direction. Clearly, though, a number of us still value the uncluttered purity that Apple usually gives us. I've pulled up the new Google Maps ads on my phone, and they are annoying. Not as bad as a big Flash ad bouncing all over my computer screen, but still annoying. It breaks my concentration; makes a small part of my brain say, "OK, so the white ones on the...
Apple is unique in that it generally makes money without annoying us to death. Most companies (and especially most websites) have business strategies based around annoying ads. I've heard the ZuneHD gives you a little ad every single time you open an application. It's like Hulu vs. iTunes. I would personally much rather pay a couple bucks to watch an HD TV show without commercials. That's the same reason I own a TiVo: so I can avoid polluting my life with...
I dislike DRM as much as the next guy, but DRM'd textbooks sound like a great model. Right now students typically pay outrageous prices for dirty, beat-up, used textbooks. Then, a few months later, they sell those textbooks back at a substantially reduced price. Wouldn't it be far better to pay a smaller price and rent a digital copy for those few months? And imagine using those textbooks on a really pleasant device--a device that does for reading and note-taking what...
Now that's funny! But seriously, Apple's decision has made me a very proud stockholder indeed. I agree with their position that this is not a political issue, but a civil rights issue. The guy who said the government has no business being involved in marriage is totally right. But as long as they are involved, then they've got to treat everyone the same. That's what freedom is all about: the freedom for you to hold an unpopular opinion and still be treated the same as...
For me: $2.87 per movie. I'm interested in what other people are paying. Anyone else want to do the math? NOTE: To calculate that number, I pulled up my Netflix history and counted how many movies I had actually received during 2007: 77 movies. Then I added up my yearly cost for my 3-at-a-time plan including tax ($18.39 x 12 = $220.68) and divided that by my 77 movies for an average of $2.87. How about you?