or Connect

Posts by inkswamp

I think this is a ruse. Given that Google just bought up part of Motorola, I'm thinking some of Google's partners might be feeling a little threatened or uncertain at the moment. It would make good sense to talk about bailing on Android in public and becoming a competitor. Seems like a little corporate saber rattling to me. I wish it were true however. I'd like the smartphone market not follow the same path as the PC industry, where you had basically one OS and many...
Words like "clueless" and "uninformed" carry a negative connotation. You're trying to equivocate by claiming they're synonymous with "unaware" which we both know is silly. If your boss had to indicate on your performance review that you didn't know something, would you be happy if he used a word like "clueless" instead of "unaware"? Doubtful.Regardless, the original post was clearly a slam on people for not knowing or caring about upcoming tech gadgets which is, IMO,...
Probably like this...
So what? Split all the hairs you want. I'm simply taking issue with the implied (or maybe not so implied) belief that people who don't know/care about the upcoming iteration of some tech gadget are somehow stupid or inferior. I don't believe that to be the case, but rather a result of different priorities in life. And I don't understand how not assuming people are idiots because they don't share my priorities puts me near the high horse. I suspect you don't either.
That's exactly what my wife says when I tell her she needs to wait for the iPhone 5. She asks why and I explain what the rumors say it will have and she shrugs and says she wouldn't need those features anyway. And, much to my surprise, she even counters with "Won't the iPhone 4 be even cheaper when the iPhone 5 comes out? I might just get the iPhone 4 regardless."Having the newest and shiniest really doesn't matter to most people.
Wow. How's the view from up there on that high horse? People are perfectly informed, but they don't put as much gravity in having the latest-and-greatest as tech geeks do. It just doesn't matter. They have other things to do in life and don't care if it's iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 or whatever. It just doesn't matter. If they like what they see in an ad, then that's what they want. My wife wants an iPhone 4 (after nearly 2 years of suffering with a Droid Eris) and I'm the one...
I think where you two are not seeing eye-to-eye is the fact that OS X wasn't "officially" registered as Unix until Leopard (10.5). Prior to that, it was more accurate to say it was Unix-based. I honestly don't know the ins-and-outs of what it means to be a registered Unix but OS X only achieved that designation with 10.5. Truly splitting hairs, I know, but hopefully that clarifies the point you're arguing.
Probably to derail a discussion of bad news for Google and Android. I suggest we all ignore it and continue talking about a news story that portends the most glaring example of Android platform fragmentation yet. edit: Yep. Check out the posting history. Google apologist. I suggest everyone ignore and move on.
I've read before that a significant number of very wealthy people prefer not to be public about their charitable giving out of desire not to draw unnecessary media attention and/or be flooded with requests from other charities and organizations--many of which employ people for that very purpose. Given his obvious interest in privacy for his personal life, I can imagine Jobs would fall into that category. Not trying to be an apologist. I'd personally be very disappointed...
Don't take this personally because I honestly don't mean it to be insulting, but I cannot get my head around the logic of people like you and others buying these things at any price. I wouldn't pay $10 for a Touchpad because I know it's a dead-end and failed in the market and would probably just collect dust. I just don't understand the thinking of jumping on a failed product because it's suddenly cheaper than it was a week ago. Way back in the 90s when Dennis Miller was...