or Connect

Posts by inkswamp

Quick show of hands: how many of you have been using Macs since the early- to mid-90s? I have and I recall very clearly how limp and ineffectual Apple's marketing and its product strategies were. It's amazing to see that same company being so aggressive in nailing down every segment of this new market they're in. And I'm not even someone who normally gives a rip about that kind of thing, but the contrast between the old Apple and the new is remarkable.
I hate to say it because I love Macs, my iPod and Apple Computer, but to me the wording of the contract (assuming what was posted here is accurate) is definitely not in Apple Computer's favor. Intangible music communications is a phrase that could be applied very clearly to music downloads whereas you have to make a pretty thorough argument to claim the music is just data being transmitted (i.e., most people don't get the idea that the music files are just data from the...
My, oooooh my. That entire thread should be required reading before participating in any rumor site. I'd forgotten how doom-and-gloom so many Mac users were about the iPod when it came out. I recall people saying that Apple was going to abandon making Macs too. I should dig up the Slashdot thread. I remember that being filled with ridicule and naysaying about the iPod as well.
But none of this really changes the fact that the iPod and Mac markets really are different to the degree that they aren't worth comparing. Look at all the things that Apple seemingly did to hobble the Mac early on. Hardware incompatibility. Software incompatibility. Low-key marketing/evangelism. That's all rectified when you extend the comparison to its logical lengths. The iPod can interface with the most common equipment out there (Mac and Windows; hardware...
I have no dispute with most of what you're saying. I'm a long-time Mac user too and have followed the day-to-day drama, but the one thing you're overlooking is the fact that there was a general consensus that Amelio did okay but had no real vision and didn't think of Apple as unique. He viewed Apple just like any other businessman might. Thus, the directionless and uninspiring product line they had at the time. I also think it's terribly unfair to lay the blame for the...
Anybody who can salvage Apple after Gil Amelio has a right to an ego.
I own an iPod. I have never bought anything from the iTunes Music Store. I have loads of legal music on my player. Your statement seems to imply that you can only put music from the iTunes store on an iPod. Or is that not what you meant? Fine. What's stopping Wal-Mart or MS or Dell from making their own player/store combo to compete with Apple's? Do any other long-time Mac users out there dig the irony? For years people scoffed at Apple for not being compatible with the...
Who the @#$% are you callin' touchy, mother@#$%??!?!?!
Of course, I recall that Adobe was annoyed with Apple for brining out iPhoto in the first place as they viewed it as competition with some of their consumer-level products. IIRC, the photo management capabilities of Photoshop Elements was the issue.
Wrong. I didn't specifically seek out AI for confirmation of that fact or any other specific fact, but rather was thrown off when I saw so many inaccurate comments about the graphics card from people who seemed like they knew what they were talking about.I disagree. The better forums can be a place for that which is part of my point: the value of the AI forums to me has just dropped off considerably. And that's too bad really. I have enjoyed browsing the comments here but...