or Connect

Posts by inkswamp

Why does it have to be Apple? Right now, I'm finding Bing search and maps meet or exceed Google's offerings and have switched all my search defaults. There's a rare occasion where a Bing search fails and I fall back to Google, but the point is that the competition is there. Disconnect from Google and move on. I have. It's really not that hard.And FWIW, I didn't dump Google because they are Apple's competitors. I couldn't give a rip about that. I dumped Google because their...
Wow. That's a lot of baristas.
The problem with these ads is that you have to be the clear underdog in a given market, otherwise you look defensive and bitter. Wendy's could get away with taking shots at McDonalds and Burger King in the 80s. Pepsi could take shots at Coke back then too. Small telecoms can depict the four big service providers as buffoons. It almost has you cheering the little guy on. But seeing a very large company like Samsung who is clearly not the underdog in any obvious way...
Um, are you planning to get me that coffee I ordered any time soon?
Don't you love that? I've been programming computers since I was a kid. I've been doing professional web development and system admin work for the last 15+ years. I'm no stranger to computers and geeky stuff, but for the life of me, I can't imagine why I'd ever want to run scripts (or do computer-like management of processes and files) on my phone. There are times and places for technical complexity, and my phone isn't one of them.
Heh. I love how Android users think they have sooooo much more freedom than what Apple offers. You don't really. Of if you do, it's by a tiny degree. It's just everyone buying into all the "free and open" marketing memes. The proof is the simple fact that jailbreaking/rooting is just as popular with Android users as it is with iOS users. If Android represented all this freedom and not being walled in as you claim, why all the rooting? And why have some OEMs been making it...
Paragraph 1: it's not Android! Users are just stupid. Paragraph 2: It's not Android! It's a conspiracy. Paragraph 3: It's not Android! Well, even if it was, it's better than a stupid iPhone. Sheesh! All over the map. Google deserves better apologists than this. Oh, btw, have fun connecting to remote networks with the built-in Cisco VPN on your Android phone. Oh what? You don't have that? Mmmmm... life sure is hard in this walled garden. Still, it keeps the riff-raff out.
I remember reading an article years ago about how charitable giving by very wealthy people is often kept quiet or low-key out of a desire not to be flooded with requests from others. Might not sound likely but consider that just about every charitable organization (and some non-charitable ones like universities) maintain professional staff to pursue gifts from major donors. Given that, it seems likely that someone like Jobs, who already seemed indifferent to dealing with...
I'm already seeing people (here and elsewhere) defend the Kindle Fire as a loss leader. Just declaring something a loss leader doesn't automatically defend any questionable financial decisions in the pricing of a product. And more to the point, Amazon already had a lot of Kindle users out there prior to the Fire so you have to question if the costs of selling something like the Fire really will be offset by sales of content. They were already making money off the content...