or Connect

Posts by inkswamp

From what I've seen, most articles or stats about market share do include a time period.
So did nobody on the Android side of things release a new model?
There is no "total market share." Market share is, by definition, the part of a given market a company takes in a specific time frame. Figuring total market share would be pointless. What would that show us? The term I suspect you're looking for is "customer base" which is the total number of customers a given company serves. That's not the same as market share. In fact, a company can have a very low market share and very high customer base or vice-versa. I'd actually...
Prior to these numbers being released, message forums and tech blogs were recently filled with articles about Android almost hitting 50% market share and how it would clearly get there before iOS. Crazy how Apple has come up from second place and appears to be on track to claim that 50% before Android gets there. And honestly, I don't really give a rip who gets there first or who sells more phones nor do I care to engage in dick-size wars about it. I just find it amazing...
That was genius. Kudos and thanks for the laugh!
I don't think anyone wants to see any company or product fail but I think RIM and their co-CEOs have displayed an astonishing capacity for hubris over the last couple of years and, as a result, have practically invited people to dance on the company's grave. Seriously, you don't dismiss your competitors as "amateur hour" when you're getting your ass handed to you. A little humility and a real effort to take the changes in the smartphone market seriously would have gone a...
You'll have to elaborate. I don't see how the presence of multiple homescreens (hidden feature or otherwise) was evidence that Apple favored native apps over Webapps, especially when you consider how elaborate and well-developed iOS's support for running Webapps was from day one. The infrastructure for treating Webapps as first-class citizens on the iPhone was there from the start. The system is designed to launch Webapps as their own process and treat them as their own...
Android devices can display onscreen icons for webapps. What iOS can do, that Android cannot, is launch a webapp as its own process. Android, to the best of my research, cannot do that.When you save a webapp bookmark to your homescreen and launch it from there, it appears as its own process in the program switcher, distinct from Safari. (The developer can even include iOS-specific HTML extensions to help the device find a custom app icon, startup image, etc.) The point is,...
Webapps can be saved to the home screen as icons which launch as their own process separate from Safari. All that infrastructure for Webapps is built-in to iOS to this day (and woefully underused, IMO. Apple did an amazing job with it, and it's something Android still can't do to this day.) If you're arguing that additional home screens is somehow evidence that Apple wasn't committed to Webapps, you're wrong. Webapp developers can include directives in their app for custom...
I hope they put out a video of the ATV running a few games. Would be interesting to see if the current hardware can handle some of the better iOS games. I'm assuming—hoping—you meant this ironically. If not, that has to be one of the most asinine things I've seen posted to the Internet in a long time.