or Connect

Posts by inkswamp

Why do people keep perpetuating this Mac market share myth? The Mac never had market share in the computer market comparable to what the iPhone has in smart phone market. These are not parallel situations. Everyone frames the story of the Mac vs. Windows as if the Mac owned the entire computer market from day one and MS came along with Windows and ate Apple's lunch. The Mac never had significant market share in the first place and therefore it's nothing like what we're...
Maybe not Doomed™, but at the very least Beleaguered™.
This new learning amazes me. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
The Mac never had a share of the computer market comparable to that of the iPhone in the smart phone market. That's what you're missing. Think carefully about that and you'll realize your viewpoint is deeply flawed.I've heard this before. Your comment is predicated on the myth that the Mac, at one point, had a massive market share vs. the PC, and that Microsoft took that away. Apple never had that to begin with. Apple's climb has been slow and steady over the decades. They...
Exactly. People keep comparing Android to Windows circa 1990, but there's the critical difference. Microsoft maintained an iron-grip on Windows and there weren't dozens of forks and variations and proprietary UI layers in the mix. The hardware varied back then but the OS didn't. Windows and PCs were a one-to-many relationship. Android and the hardware is turning into a many-to-many relationship. If Android is going to mutate like this, it's sort of disingenuous to group...
"Motorla Mobility and Sony Ericsson have issued lengthly explanations offering various reasons why their customers won't receive updates anytime soon..." The hidden cost of "free."
A couple of points. First, I'm not sure the Amazon can play the scale game in this case. I keep seeing people draw comparisons between the Kindle Fire and video game consoles which are typically sold below cost with profits coming from game sales. Console makers usually license out their development tools to people who want to develop content specifically for that console. I'm not sure that's analogous to a tablet maker trying to recoup costs by selling content that...
Excellent post! I don't understand why people don't get it. It's not that Apple is trying to stop others from entering the tablet market. It's just that they're unwilling to stand by and have other companies steal their designs. Good for them. Apple's lawsuits will force these wanna-bes to create new designs and actually compete which is what people bitching about Apple claim they want. BTW, I'd add one more image to your list of tablet-makers who have entered the market...
Can't speak for anyone else, but living with a cheap Android phone for 2 years has made my wife the biggest iPhone fan on the planet. I suspect cheap Android phones will actually help Apple gain customers in the long-term.