or Connect

Posts by k2director

The money was already taxed when it was earned. What's left belongs to the owner to do what they want, including leaving it to family or organizations when they die. If you don't think the direct heirs of a wealthy person have claim to their parents' or their relatives' or supporters' money, then how could you think the government has a claim? What did the government and "the people" do to earn the money? ABSOLUTElY NOTHING. But they want to take it and spend it on...
FCP X is a very innovative app. It does some core things MUCH better than conventional editors, and many missing features can/will be added with some time. Its real issue is performance -- it slows down to a crawl as projects expand beyond a couple of minutes, and that's on top-of-the-line gear. The bigger issue is Apple's commitment to anything that's not a mass market consumer product. From high-end workstation users getting the boot to iWork Mac users going 2+ years...
My god, there's so much knee-jerk populism and brain-dead anti-business rhetoric here. As industries mature, as the cel phone industry is doing, they ALWAYS consolidate. Car companies, computer companies, airlines, etc. etc. etc. You can sit on your dumbass high-horse all day long and cite "what's best for the consumer" but it doesn't change the market conditions that real-world companies and their management have to cope with. They can't get by on smug populist...
Thanks for hurling personal insults in what was otherwise a normal forum conversation! In light of that, you RETARD, I'd like to point out that this entire thread is conjecture....ie, people expressing their opinions and guesses about Jobs' view on philanthropy. Nobody here claims to have known him. Nobody claims to know what he thought lately on the matter.... I certainly didn't claim that. I said "Personally I think..." which is a pretty good signal that I'm not putting...
You both speak to the same issue, so I'll answer together. I've noticed that a lot of people who support Big Philanthropy, like they support Big Government, value the intent of the philanthropic act as much as they value the end results of that act. When I talk to people about hugely wasteful and destructive government programs (like welfare, or school bussing, etc. etc. etc.) I've heard people say "at least they're trying", as if hugely failing in the endeavor is...
Personally I think Jobs didn't like the idea of charity....ie simply giving away something valuable without it being earned. It simply went against his world view. I think he was absolutely fine with helping people, but was uncomfortable with the conventional idea of simply giving away money. I think he much rather would have created new companies and products that would help people help themselves, rather than just handing over money, which probably seemed crass to him...
Christ, even Apple is doing its part to overrun Thanksgiving with a money grab. Really, Apple, how many customers are going to skip buying your products because they have to wait until 8am instead of 4am or midnight?
If it results in more indoor pictures that are blurry, it's not a smart feature. Also, if the flash came on when there's more ambient light, it would create some decent fill but not the harsh "deer in headlights" look that comes from a flash in darkness.
The iPhone's camera is fine in daylight, but sucks for indoors shots, even the cameras on the 4S. I constantly get blur, and the camera's AUTO feature never seems to engage the flash, unless it's very very dark. Oh well.
Germany is a pip-squeak of a country compared to the U.S., economically speaking. How many new, booming industries have come out of Germany since WWII? Not many. How many from the U.S.? Oh let's see, there's been biotechnology, the mainframe and mini computer industry, the the personal computer industry, the internet, the air freight industry (fed ex, ups), fast food, music, movies, etc. etc. etc. If the U.S. had Germany's overall economic activity, it would be a...