or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Agreed in full, except to add there's going to be a nice niche for all three versions in those mini-stores within department stores and at selected "fine jewelers" and haute couture boutique places... ...bands and apps being matched and accessorized for the Editions and the rest (for the fashion forward on a real world budget, for the well to dos daughters, sons and as stocking stuffers for brokerage house Christmas parties, etc., etc.) - your at work look, your night on...
 Thanks - I updated the figures and did some more math after you quoted me - which raised my semi-educated guesstimates from the links cited to $4999-$5999 based on using well more than an ounce of 18K gold, but here will look at the lower limits....Those links were:https://applespotlight.com/2015/02/18/the-real-value-of-gold-in-an-apple-watch/https://applespotlight.com/2014/09/17/john-grubers-initial-thoughts-and-observations-on-apple-watch/  Apple are genius at marketing...
     Here's some numbers estimating the amount of gold that will be used.  I initially thought they were high given that the back won't be gold and the wall thickness is unknown, so as a former jeweler, had been personally guesstimating less than a Troy oz. (31.1gr) in the 42mm but, thanks Solly, I'd forgotten to include the strap buckle. So if these links are based on actual volumetric analyses, 50-75gr (or more) (of which 75% is gold) and proportionately less in the 38mm...
 No, only heard it in passing on one of TWIT's podcasts.  And can't find a link on it now (found an article about Apple making presentations on mobile development, but it was from a previous year). So all I got.
 Speaking as a long-time collector of things various and sundry (and who's done very well with enough of my many thousands of comics to be smiling), I doubt the A-watch is going to be a prime collectible.  Things that are pre-touted and sought as such (as the Watch is being to an extent) seldom are - even when there are millions (or in the case of something the price of the "Edition edition" hundreds of thousands).  E.g., among Macs, only the very first has shown a lot of...
 Not entirely.  I heard Apple will be participating in an event with IBM about their joint mobile in the the enterprise strategy which is strategic for IBM and could end up  being so for Apple, tho for Not-as-Big-as-it-was Blue, it's more about relevance and survival and for Apple for now, gravy.... ...and while Win Phone's pretty moribund in the US (to be kind), MS has staying power and may finally start to enough right with Win 10 to eventually claw back to say, 5-10% of...
 Ahh, what a conundrum being "inclusive" quickly becomes... ...you're bound to leave oxes gored...  ...mixed ethnicity couples... ...multi-racial kids...  ...and is five shades really "a wide range" of skin tones...?? (Not including the default yellow, which when applied to faces more human than a smiley is a sallow yellow that would have embarrassed even Sax Rohmer as a stereotype of Asian people.)And you can go on and endlessly on...  ...e.g., what about......long-haired...
"Software as a (cash) siphon..."  ...lolz... Looking at Pixelmator, hopeful about Affinity....
Having given some consideration to a Lenovo to tide me over while waiting for Broadwell last year, the re-switcher in me is yelling yay! at my decision to buy a loaded Apple refurbed 13" 2013 MBA last November.... ...since the only diff with 2014 was a slight CPU bump.... ...a (safer) bargain by contrast and will get me at least to Skylake.
 Funny, but FTR... ...physical gold coming on to the world market) is in the range of 113M Troy ounces/year, including new gold mining and recovered gold scrap. ...and the Apple Watch case should use considerably less than an ounce of pure gold in its 18K casting.  One estimate I read put it at under half an ounce. So a million Editions ($5B at $5,000 each, which would be a resounding success I would say) would use somewhere around half a million ounces... ...many if not...