or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Yeah, I guess that any Russian company, whatever their motives and intent, is subject to pressure from the kleptocracy of Putin and Co. - and the country is no slouch in its gross national product of hackers.... ...hmmmm.  Thanks for the reminder... ...more to ponder.That, and their frequent $50 upgrade cycle....Meanwhile, couldn't wait to see about a Broadwell/Skylake retina MBA any longer, so just ordered my first new (well, Apple-refurbed) Mac in a number of years - a...
I'm buying either Parallels or VM Ware to run Win 7 (two legacy Win apps I have to have), and my reading seems to indicate that VM Ware is a) more focused on playing nice with Enterprise than home power users and b) is considerably more nerdy to deal with........any thoughts on this ('cos I'd tentatively settled on Parallels)...??PS: One thing I liked about Parallels is that I can install Windows under Boot Camp, and then have Parallels make a copy that will also work...
See below.... ...nothing funny about it from MS's perspective.... One of them... ....holding over 90% of the premium personal computing market (as last reported on this very site for personal computers over $1000)........while Chromebooks are starting to eat them up on the bottom end (personal computers under $300 or so) to the point they're now giving their cash cow (Windows) away for use in PC's under (I believe) $250........Leaving Redmond (and its also beleaguered...
 It can do "the same" only within a demographic subset.  You didn't need an Apple product to buy an iPod (after the first iterations - which is when it took off like a sales rocket at least - eventually leading Apple to dump the FW interface so it could work with all Windows PCs). In fact, it was an iPod that got me to buy my first Mac, 'cos I liked the iTunes interface as a contrast to how most Windows programs worked.Also, the market for portable music players (later...
Just tossing out a question... ....my 10 year old iPod Photo (60GB) finally died.  I still have the custom interface for it in my car that I had put in about 8 years ago - and it (naturally) plugs into the old interface cable.  It was the greatest car jukebox ever IMO - I left it in there summer, winter, etc.  There is a semblance of control on the car stereo, but I mostly controlled it with the click wheel - starting a list and just letting it run (occasionally skipping...
I guess we know now why the iPad Mini Retina didn't get a lot of R&D iteration love this year... 
  While the "M" series Broadwells are out (in the latest Lenovo Yogas), the rest are still lagging.Meanwhile Intel says that Skylake is still on schedule ("mid 2015"), so in fact - if that's how it goes - Apple might skip using the Broadwell iteration altogether - and if other high-end PC manufacturers agree, only low-end Broadwells (and counter-intuitively some lagging server parts that never came out in Haswell) might ever come out (in the thrashing of OEM Win machines...
Wow. Crickets on the iWatch event news compared to all the rest of the articles. I'm thinking (been thinking since the pre-announcement event) this geegaw is capturing the imagination of the fashionistas (and the fitness crowd I imagine) more than the technorati....   And that's even as I've come to realize how much more advanced it really is than Android Wear.  But no way I'm getting any of the current (and announced) gens of wearables, since more gadgets to buy,...
Is it safe to start iTunes again yet...??
 ...said someone who spends their time on a site hungry for rumors which can only be fed by outsiders depending on sources of necessarily varying reliability.... If these people were right 100% of the time there'd be no need for AppleInsider.... ...and if Apple was that easy to read and predict, it'd be a less fascinating enterprise... ...altho parts and other supplier leaks have compromised their once near total control of the pipeline info flo.... ...and judged by major...