or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Just a chance to paraphrase Jackie Gleason's famous "To the moon, Alice" on the classic "Honeymooners" show.... ....no actual Apple space fleet  recommended... :)
 Re MacBreak Weekly, I still listen/watch, however it's apparent that Leo's not taking the time to fully acquaint himself with much that he expounds on these days (on MBW and other shows he hosts) with his whole network to occupy him, and Ihnatko always speaks in looong sentences.  But there's still Rene Ritchie of iMore and the POV of Alex Lindsay who runs a production company with multiple Mac Pros and other gear.Jon Gruber's podcasts also tend to drift into things that...
 ..."To the moon, Apple!!"...
Not too much cannabalization is going on - or at least not in a way destructive to Apple - when their NET profit margin - as well as their record-for-any-corp-ever-quarterly-profit both show a very healthy bump up (in a quarter when they've cut some Mac prices). So not to worry on that score......and they've always shown a willingness to let newer form factors displace some older ones over time... ...and have managed the transitions well.  From Classic Macs thru iMacs,...
Thanks!  CCC at first glance (or re-glance, since I remember the name from years ago as a Mac stand by) looks more full-featured than Super Duper (which always did the simple task of backing up my iBook's internal drive painlessly).  And with a partition (I already have Paragon's NTFS for OS X), looks like I can make stuff available to my Win PC as well as have a bootable system backup. But this time in I'm trying to dogfood all the included Apple services I eschewed on my...
 This is gonna sound a bit incoherent (and it is mostly venting and semi-off-topic), but my head is spinning.... ...and I'll go out on a limb and say I'm not the only long-time user who can sound like a hopeless noob.As a "re-switcher" mostly away from Mac (tho' still using my Tiger machine for a few dedicated tasks), and with 25 years plus of considering myself a "power user" I'm totally confused by where Apple's going with iCloud services - and what are any users to make...
Kuo love:   From AI site articles you'd think this guy's officially changed his name to "well-regarded analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities" - it's almost always boiler-plated that way... Oh well. It's nice to be "well-regarded"....  
 I can see possibilities of mischief or more here via false reporting - tho' maybe it's a remote possibility - in the sense that any "crowd-sourced" data system is subject to gaming - depending on the number of reports required to trigger a change in what the system is showing locally. So hopefully the volume of reporters will be high enough to drown out any malicious "noise" in the system.But I can think of things that could be tried.  I wrote down a couple, but decided...
 What you said. I was thinking exactly the same thing, but you articulated it very succinctly.Website ads mostly now show things you've recently already looked at (or already bought).  Magazine ads were often varied enough to occasionally be a useful aid to product and service discovery and were easy to flip past if you weren't interested.Altho' one precept of caveat emptor is still true about ads, wherever you encounter them:  The actual desirability, utility, quality and...
 I am (or rather mostly was - I'm now trying to lighten my load) an omnivorous collector of memorabilia and can tell you they are likely worth a few bucks each (in good condition). Check eBay. Quite a few listed at quite a range of prices. I estimate my first issue of MacWorld is worth about $25 (kept mint) more or less.I have weirder things too:  An Apple Lisa catalog, Apple II brochure, Videotape from IBM explaining the "AIM Alliance" (Apple, IBM and Motorola, i.e.,...