or Connect

Posts by bigpics

(Note: US-centric comment, and noting you didn't specify "best" as well as "least expensive"):  ....Except for off-contract phones with no-lock-in to parasitic subsidized contracts, e.g., a decent Android activated at T-Mob. Too many short-sighted folks never stop to think that "expensive to own" (very much) includes TCO which (very much) includes the non-expiring premium for a subsidized phone that continues after the full cost of the device has been paid. So a...
Not holding my breath, but I agree there might well be a market for a non-phone that ran all the phone apps in a mostly pocketable size.  For one thing, "iPod" is an iconic brand (that set so much in motion) maybe worth a little reviving......4G and a larger screen (and maybe a pretty bitchin' camera in the space saved by removing the phone bits) would be grounds for such a revival... ...and also differentiate it from both the iPhone and iPad.For another, using phones as...
At this rate, I'm not even sure I'd be allowed to kiss her ring...."...and you will do what you are toldUntil the rights to you are sold..."~Frank Zappa
 Grasshoppers don't live four years....  That's cool (altho' as noted below the MP is really more a 2013 product) (that will sell to less than1% of Apple customers), so cool if you have $5000 for a computer or own a Ferrari at the moment (are there other cars with CP actually available?).Granted, though, CarPlay is a new product that will trickle down to we unwashed over time.... Quote:  Apple's bottom line says otherwise, but on the other hand, MS's profits and even sales...
Blecch. Hope it never happens.
 Maybe an Atom CPU, like the Dell Venue Pro 11 and others are using that have been decently reviewed for speed running full Win 8.1....?? "Some" being the operative word here...  ...Apple's playing a volume game (other than with the Pro - a strategic offering to keep a growth path to the top for OS X among true power users, and the ATV - the "strategic hobby" to date), and if they weren't going to release the endlessly-craved-by-gear-heads headless mid-range Mac when the...
Exactly so, Chandra... ..but one more Q...  ...I'd like to see you edit this to add Amazon into this hierarchy of enemies of enemies, friends of enemies, etc... ...In any case, glad not everyone's fighting the last war and realizes who's gunning for both Apple and MS.. ...unlike the guy below......who also missed that you realized that when the row is between Samsung and Google you DID pick "innovative, amazing Google [which they are kinda, least when they're not sitting...
 You have to wonder about the biz model, though.  You know what Google gets out of its "free" OS with all the ad data (and increasingly the Google Play store). I guess MS is (copying Apple again, but hey, steal from the best) the store model and betting they'll recoup OS dev costs and make a profit from growing the online MS stores... ...as otherwise, where's the revenue??  MS realized this years ago.  Its some of the Apple faithful that are finally starting to get a clue...
 Indeed. I read that IBM sent two reps out to Digital Research to discuss using CP/M rather than going with Gates, but when they got there, the founder (Gary Kildall) was more interested in flying his personal plane than meeting with "suits" that day. This page doesn't have the "I'd rather be flying my plane" anecdote but does fill in some of the blanks about how diff things COULD have been.... 
Seven. You missed me.And happy with the very pocketable Moto X I bought.  Phones are my least valued computing platform anyway.  I just keep chafing for more screen real estate and targets I can reliably hit.  So getting all I expect and need for a very nice price.I will be adding an iPad to my stable of devices (including a Mac notebook and a PC Desktop) with the next iteration this fall, though.  No comparison in the tab segment yet. Forget the tech religious wars and...