or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Seven. You missed me.And happy with the very pocketable Moto X I bought.  Phones are my least valued computing platform anyway.  I just keep chafing for more screen real estate and targets I can reliably hit.  So getting all I expect and need for a very nice price.I will be adding an iPad to my stable of devices (including a Mac notebook and a PC Desktop) with the next iteration this fall, though.  No comparison in the tab segment yet. Forget the tech religious wars and...
 FYI:  Another indication is that they actually have THREE main cash cows - the third is Server - which I believe is now the biggest. And it's a case of not only its growth, but strategically importantly, the stalling to declining revenues in Office and  Windows.  Which has been fairly dramatic since mobile computing just took off.  So MS really doesn't have a lot of choice about whether to go for the successful mobile platforms. And will get some IT uptake in the BYOD...
 Yaay. Actual photography and optics knowledge.  All too rare in these discussions on AI.  What are you, old?  :-D Quote: Shhhh.  Your tone's getting a little pedantic here even though you're still speaking truth. And truth into the wind. :-DRemember:  Most people whose grounding in photography began in the phonecam era - including (amazingly?) many of the reviewers for even big sites - still don't even know the OPTICAL difference between optical and digital zoom, and here...
Interesting.  I do remember some of these, however, with due respect, I specified "smart phones" - and I don't really consider anything around in 2004 (i.e. before the iPhone defined the modern smart phone in 2007) to be "a true smart phone," (I know my LG10000 from 2005 or so could barely, barely get on the net, but not for any useful reason), so I guess, "It depends on the meaning of smart," Lolz......
 OK they recommended the lower res model for the average up to serious hobbyist user then, and not solely for reasons having to do with the sensor... ...which I don't recall, but duly noted, thanks....
Most phones?  Has there ever been any smart phone with a true (focal length and perspective changing) optical zoom??  The review I saw of the Sony Mirrorless line recommended the model with the smaller sensor for most photogs for most use cases....  ...regardless of the fact that the 24MP model is hundreds of $'s cheaper....
 A glass of water in the desert of the forum religious wars and feuds.Thank you.
 Nice try. Lots of people are saying so. Me who doesn't even like wearing watches for one. Pebble, Gear, all the rest so far are suddenly reduced to "only a geek would wear this" prototypes that belong in a museum next to my Casio calculator watch from the '80's.  You may be onto something there, Watson... :)  Which gets to a central pillar of the Android Wear concept:  More than aimed at Apple, this is one of Google's pre-emptive moves to cut off Samsung's Tizen OS at the...
FTR, that ("a cheap android with a card slot) is going to become a rarer bird itself. Google's not only discouraging phones with card slots going forward, they're also not in favor of large local storage at all... ...and while I couldn't find the recent article I read on this, it's a trend that's been in place, especially on the Nexus devices for some time. While on the paleolithic data diet myself, i.e., I want my data in as few large consolidated chunks as possible -...
 Have you two Canadians met...???  One of you gets it....  Actually I'm opposed to "software as a service" ...but a) compared to Adobe's extortion level sub-only prices and b) if you have an Office using family a screaming bargain by comparison...Meanwhile, I've read two articles on this on Apple sites, and neither mentioned something that's SCREAMINGLY obvious:  Touch Office is coming out on the iPAD before it comes out on ANY MS device.... (PC's, Surfaces, whatever) (and...