or Connect

Posts by bigpics

IMO, while an impressive piece of engineering, 10.0 was essentially a late alpha version dressed in beta clothes and delivered in retail packaging - released by a company still in danger of irrelevancy and betting the company on a new computing metaphor. So I understand why, and it all worked out as a big success story - but no way it would have been released without more work if Apple had been a healthy company already cruising along with good growth and profits...
Apple's whole design evolution suggests (at least most of) today's current bezels will become at most a fraction of what they've been, whatever the screen size.  So the screen can grow relative to the chassis, tho' I don't expect the home button to go away, so slightly wider and more "chin-like" (very small top bezel, just enough room for the Touch ID at the bottom, virtually no side bezels) - however the Home button's not becoming virtual by next year.With continuing...
 "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5B7jLWZUc 
Mo' money, mo' money.....  ...and Imelda Marcos never did quit buying all kinds of spendy shoes until she couldn't... Google "proxy fight".... ...with small stakes and clever wheel-dealing, major corporate fortunes can be turned, boards re-made, CEO's ousted, etc.  Most efforts fail, but iChan has clout and has won before. I guess "retired" is correct, however, my understanding is bought-back shares can just be put back on the company's books and be re-issued (or "bonused"...
Because everyone can bring a 27" thunderbolt display out on location... ...not.A few observations:  1. the screen shots on Anandtech show a clear difference, not hard to discern at all and there's no reason to believe Anand had an interest in skewing.  He loves the product.2. After resolution and calibration of saturation, etc., gamut is the most important variable left (more important e.g., than pure off-axis view angles for those who care about their pics - and moot here...
You win the Kewpie doll.  MS's good market performance really kicked in the day after Bizarro-Steve announced his plan to exit Redmond.......as in "the next guy can't possibly be as bad when given this huge pool of tech resources and market share to work with."
 Touchy, touchy....  "Reticulous" indeed.  On multiple levels.WakeFinance is no troll, and the stock market's doing what it does - one piece of which is boosting stocks it's excited about and not acting excited about things which are cyclically out of favor.  Until they go off in another direction, fall out of love, fall into new love, etc., etc. And this is simply data about what the markets are doing now and the extrapolated trend (knowing that "past performance is no...
It's the 21st Century equivalent of "featherbedding" - when union rules required that trains continue to have both an engineer and a "fireman" in the engine cab long after there was no wood or coal to shovel......and to many other labor situation rules, e.g., in the auto industry, when production line technology came along...As industrial unionism has helped put enough drag on many traditional industries that used to be located mainly in the US to erode the base of...
FTR, I could have made my point more clearly.  I meant these services aren't immune to being overtaken - compared to search - in terms of barrier to entry from new or old competitors with refreshed tech.  Just like Chrome (as you pointed out) came out of nowhere and grabbed the lion's share, in mobile Apple's Safari on iOS is only 6 (?) years old and has a huge share of mobile web traffic. So a new take can sweep in again more easily in these areas by far than any company...
Most Google services are in fairly to very insecure positions for the long run. There's nothing inherently unique or superior about Android, Chrome or GMail, e.g.  However, displacing Google Search is another matter altogether.  G's Search, Analytics and ads are intertwined and insinuated deeply throughout most of the internet.  And by nearly all reports, MS - despite really a lot of work (visit once a month and you can easily see the evolution) is losing a ton in order to...