or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Been trying to think of a good answer all day. I'm actually spending way too much time on too many "interesting" things on the net lately instead of tackling a to-do list, including a ton of tax accounting, for weeks now. I wonder if any of the sites that deal in current tech would be interested in something like a blog on the longer-term perspective that can be brought to bear on the events of each current moment, but have no notion of setting out (or how) to get...
Wow! What a great post that dealt with every point I raised. I feel like I've just been to iPad seminar! Thanks for the education..... ...I'm always as happy to be wrong but now corrected as I am to right in the first place. Altho' I know enough that I really should've considered the driver issue.
I still say another tiny hole or two beats a buncha fugly, tangled, easily-misplaced, overpriced, dingle-dangle dongles all hangin' outta the bottom and switching adapters to switch devices. If I'm writing docs or editing pics, I wanna print 'em. Upload from my cam. Display on my HDTV or monitor. Listen on my better speakers. Charge. Sync. (Bluetooth will do for the keyboard - which I'm gonna have 'cos I write alot.) And with all the productivity, photo-editing,...
Look: You could have gotten paid for your remarkably astute and concise analysis:Motorola Xoom versus the iPad 2 --- the Xoom is a clear winnerPerzactly.... Where will all the Xoomers go after their devices short time's passing?
Annual or nearly annual does seem to work well enough, if you keep rethinking the device and advance the whole ecosystem every time through as opposed to just revving the latest incremental jump in one or two components. However, as Jon Gruber's noted on Daring Fireball, this could be the one time they do an interim late summer/early fall refresh, to put the device on schedule to always be fresh for the holiday buying quarter as the iPhone and iPods are. Maybe LTE??...
Serious trolling on ComputerWorld - a big IT pro site. They eventually get around to the software and ecosystem - but only after tut-tutting for paras: Apple failed to move hardware bar with iPad 2, say experts
That would be cool. I was on a net jag half the night once we started on this. And while I knew most of the info I stated, the dialog showed me some new connections between the dots from nearly 120 years ago to today's iPad2 announcement (available on both AT&T and Verizon now......)
Thanks for your post - adds a lot of food for thought. Got one more bit of trivia to add about the rivalry between JH Patterson (NCR) and TJ Watson (IBM) - which also, for a round robin, many decades later includes AT&T - and even Apple:Watson named IBM precisely to show it was greater in scope than NCR. "National Cash Registers" implied a US company that made... ...cash registers. "International Business Machines" was a rejoinder that Watson's company could be...
People don't usually comment on my "old days of computing" posts, but doesn't bother me, and I will on yours because we're both about trying to bring a little perspective to the heat of the moment that rules the roost here.My unk was an IBM'er for 30 years, dress and grooming code and all. I've seen the company song book (a very Japanese-like thing to have at an American corp., btw, in any era - unless the Japanese adopted it from Watson in the post WWII era), with songs...
Doubtful. However it's possible - in considering the upcoming competition - they may have increased their own component cost significantly ("better" - not Retina - screen, more RAM, TBolt, zippier data and vid processing, one or two cams, etc.).In that case, since they've likely fully recovered their "production experience costs" from developing iPad 1 and since those of the upgraded iPad 2 will be significantly less, we could see the "real" iPad 2 start at $549, with the...