or Connect

Posts by bigpics

I in no way feel that a true iPad 3 is coming in the fall (I leave upgrades to iOS as the "mid-life-refesh" of the iPad2), but equally, I don't believe Apple's exploited all they can do with the iPod line, based in extending some of the capabilities of the Touch to enter (or create) new markets. And a more gaming-centric iPod or a more photography/video-centric one would be two ways to evolve the iPod line. Which hasn't had a real new model (I consider the new Nano a...
To me the irony is that Apple won't even support Leopard on this, let alone Tiger (requires SL 10.5.8 as I recall), yet took the time to develop code that covers not only Win 7 and Vista (now, what, 5 years old?) but even XP which is 10! This is kind of pissy, but very savvy. Apple's always done more to "encourage" their base to upgrade than MS ("encourage" as in, "if you don't re-up with new gear or a new OS or other software, sorry, but you can't use our latest other...
I'd forgotten that (I think?) IBM didn't say right off the bat that "PC" stood for "personal computer" (nor at first say what else it might stand for) even though the term Personal Computer had been in use for years before it came out. Good call. Of course Armonk did start calling it the IBM Personal Computer in short order. "DVD" is another term that was kind of vague on its acronym - tho' I believe the coinage came from Digital Versatile Disc rather than Digital Video...
The new generic term for our proliferating, morphing device forms, even as their functions often converge, might turn out to be an elision like "' puter." As for what that might include, I'll suggest that the main (but not only) axes of variance determining "personalness" and "computerhood" are 1. form, 2. function and 3. state of the art at the time, i.e., related to the era the device was designed and made.PS: Could you/would you also call a PC made mostly from a...
Yeah, about like that.... My friend actually has the second model of the original Mac in her garage - dunno how the rigors of winter/summer temps have effected it - but it was working. Has the inside embossed sigs of the dev team and all. Wonder what it's worth? More than my Commodore 64 or even my Apple issued Lisa and Apple III brochures or my VHS from the AIM Alliance (Apple, IBM, Moto - the "pink" project) I'm sure.....
Guys, guys, the answer's already been given (by SPJ himself, already):The iPad is a mobile POST-PC.As a few like to say around here, "there, I fixed it for you."
Which would make the short run of 'em collector's items about 20 years from now!
The competitors "could use" bad advice? Ohh-kay. But they seem to have had plenty already. An iOS 5 release (P>50%) (or at least 4.5) (P>85%) would do quite nicely to "upgrade" the iPad2 and again leapfrog over Android et al. in the fall without changing component one. Which is not to wholly rule out other pre-emptive strikes like adding LTE (P<50%) or an iPad Pro (P<33%), but I read two full pages of posts and no one had mentioned the OS upgrade factor. And, think...
Been trying to think of a good answer all day. I'm actually spending way too much time on too many "interesting" things on the net lately instead of tackling a to-do list, including a ton of tax accounting, for weeks now. I wonder if any of the sites that deal in current tech would be interested in something like a blog on the longer-term perspective that can be brought to bear on the events of each current moment, but have no notion of setting out (or how) to get...
Wow! What a great post that dealt with every point I raised. I feel like I've just been to iPad seminar! Thanks for the education..... ...I'm always as happy to be wrong but now corrected as I am to right in the first place. Altho' I know enough that I really should've considered the driver issue.