or Connect

Posts by bigpics

whatever. I say they're taking the roll-out up a notch in the scale of how many countries they're bringing on one day. I don't remember another. just another sign of how our little apple tree is gettin' all growed up and branching out. and I've been watching since the pre-Apple I days. so impressed (and slightly unnerved) to see the plucky underdog become a global big dog. a big global big dog becoming bigger. a story they'll still be teaching in biz schools in...
Apple is def beefing up their world-wide op capacity - releasing the store in 90 countries simultaneously after their history of rolling out in smaller waves. Feature article suggestion: a behind the scenes on how everything in something as ambitious as this whole new store is brought out complete in maybe what, 30-40 languages and 60 or more currencies? Is the language translation done by humans? Is it done mostly by algorithms and then cleaned up by humans? Is...
And the year after that all the little weasels whose lives are consumed in envy, recrimination and self-hatred. Yeah, that was quite the dating profile he posted. Achtung, baby!
Two words: Office Live.A bunch more: Altho' their wide suite of Windows Live products - Office, Sky Drive, Messenger, Hotmail, photos, etc. - appears to have little mind share in the popular tech press, MS's (huge and continuing) investment in this stable reflects they know they have no choice but to be there when customers migrate document creation and collaboration into the cloud.Given how poorly I think the Google Docs experience compares to working in Word on my...
Just for the record, Luddites resist the advance of technology and science, while "ludites" are probably, what, tranquilizer ("ludes") abusers... Even so, I think people here are missing most of Google's marketing plan here. These things are hardly just for Grandma's emailing. They're going to have huge cost benefits for a lot of corporations. First, in cost. Upfront, no drive means less of other things as well - power supply, battery size, chips, case material, etc....
"I got three passports, couple of visas don't even know my real name High on a hillside, trucks are loading everything's ready to roll I sleep in the daytime, I work in the nightime I might not ever get home" -David Byrne (Life During Wartime)
Kinda' sounds like more tit for tat as in, nyahh, nyahh, now we're suing you for more patent violations than you're suing us for. I know some of these cases may be important, and that IP and basic hardware patents are huge - but we've learned most of these cases that aren't dismissed early end up in trading reciprocal rights, or if from one side, to the other agreeing to license fees. America is the most litigious society in the world. That's 'cos we got more damn...
So... ...what great experiences/bennies are we great unwashed missing out on? And we certainly have Debit cards with PIN#'s for checkout. Are you talking about something else?
More AI thread posts
This discussion's not really off-topic as someone else noted. The proverbial Joneses to "keep up with" and our tradition of conspicuous consumption have been mentioned a number of times, and two more terms apply as well. Apple is very much into the marketing of status symbols, some of which are almost even fetish objects. This doesn't bother me as long as the aesthetics and marketing are for machines that do the best job of doing what I need and want them to do - and...