or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Confusing yes, and trade-offs between choosing emerging and maturing technologies, always. But since you seem to know a lot about this, how about AMOLED. My new camera (Samsung TL320) has one - it won't be on every day or for hours - and it's really, really sweet, even in direct sun and way off axis. People notice the difference right away, even with no other cameras around to compare to. Is this a fundamentally different tech from "regular" OLED in any way? More...
And at length. The OLED section alone made the same points at least three times.My new Samsung TL320 P&S has an "AMOLED" screen (and claims to be the first cam to have one). It's totally viewable in noonday sun, and the useable viewing angle is amazing. No color/reflective negative shift at all when seen from extreme angles, and I get plenty of "great screen" comments out in the world. So is this a different tech from "regular" OLED (whatever that means) in any...
Anyone who cites Bose as their standard for good speakers has more $$ than sense.Bose is a marketing machine selling overpriced, underspecced audio equipment, pure and simple. Bose spends far more money on infommercials and late night ads than on actual engineering, and for their high end goods both they and B&O - whose products are more about furniture and design for the wealthy than about sound - operate "lifestyle" stores to prey on those who want "good stereos," but...
Yes! I want my Paperclip Word Processor back (on an iPodTouch yet)!! It changed my life (and made secretaries who hate retyping happily move into being administrative assistants, or less happily into data entry jobs). I also seem to remember it being kind of HTML-like, e.g., in placing "start bold" and "end bold" tag-like thingies, tho' the image is hazy in my mind. But the sense of possibility it opened up of never losing a resuable, multi-transmittable keystroke ever...
I just heard the geniuses on CNBC regurgitating the "Hummer of smart Phones" headline on their network - as if iPhone users are personally burning through our "precious data supply," and linking it to the other headline about Sony Walkmans outselling iPods for a brief period. All kinds of gloom and doom talk followed, none of which mentioned, a) the iPod figures for Japan did NOT include iPhone sales, and every iPhone as everyone here knows IS an iPod, nor b)...
And then they'll begin marketing a new generation of devices that will eat all of that up. I've been waiting for a responsive computer that simply works as fast as I can give it input since my Commodore 64 (which came closer than any machine I have TODAY). Overhead, code bloat, multi-user drag and other bottlenecks always seem to stay a step or two ahead of improvements in hardware and even software (e.g., the leaner, meaner Snow Leopard). So I know only one thing ... as...
Expense/availability of tower sites? Tall buildings? Corporate bafflegab and stat fudging?Whatever, I've dropped maybe three calls total in the last two years in NYC and the metro area with Verizon. I have 900 minutes, 500 TXT/PIC messages, an outstanding keyboard, good display, and internet access if I really need it. Meanwhile, plenty of net at home/work, and can actually live without it for a few hours - plus the optimized email, weather and news sites, including...
The Beatles and Stones were friends, at least back in the day, and several of the Beatles jammed on a few cuts on the Stones one venture into psychedelia (my fave Stones album ever which no one recognizes when I play a few cuts for people) - "Their Satanic Majesties Request"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_S...esties_Request So the event title doesn't, methinks at least, totally preclude an overdue "#9, #9, #9" resolution between Apple and Apple.
I can see why you're so beloved by all here for responding to the actual posts you're arguing about. I never questioned your 20% or more of phot-ops lost without a flash figure, nor that one would be desirable (if the output was user controllable, as most auto-flashs pump out way too much light on close-up subjects) - just the technology, cost, and other design compromises which might be required to get one into the upcoming iteration (& expecting one when the iPhone...
I got your point. You want to be able to squeeze off a sharp, contrasty image anywhere anytime just by the act of pointing your iThing at anything and clicking. Without, of course, sacrificing any battery life or the quality of any other components by squeezing an intelligent fill flash and zoom mechanism into the same amount of space, nor natch, increasing the price.Let alone having to think about composition, framing, wide angle/tele issues, how to use what light you...