or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Have to disagree. This phenomenon is hardly limited to Apple. Desktops have been shrinking as a %age of sales of PC's for years and will pass unit leadership to portables next year. The domestic server market growth is anemic. Laptop/notebook and world server are the only real growth areas. Desktops aren't going away, but they're not where a focused growth company that recently removed "computer" from its name is going.....From: eTForecasts - Worldwide PC...
If Apple was going to bring out the MMMMT (mythical mid-range Mac mini-tower) they would have done so years ago when the market would have been bigger. I've watched the runes all that time and the reasoning is clear. Consider the article's figures:On its current roll Apple has done nothing for years but target the fastest-growing, most fluid, largest segments of markets it covets (or in the case of Apple TV one which is still waiting to become one). The mid-range...
Can't wait!At least this thread is filled with more reflection and less aggression. I can barely program "Hello, world" but I love following (as best I can) what's really happening under the hood.
I truly don't understand why whoever puts out these marketshare figures - or at least the hopefully intrepid journalists at AI - stated in terms of units - don't also always simultaneously put up the computer revenue figures. It stands to reason that with Apple's commanding share of the $1,000-and-up market for PC's - and companies like Acer being primarily in the sub-$400 market - that Apple would bump at least one place, maybe two when ranked by computer sales. And as...
He said to the mixed audience of idealists and profiteers....Well, yeah. The good news is that many free "limited functionality" apps - the real well-written ones - luckily (for me) have enough for me to be satisfied with the free version. e.g., Super-Duper (about which I'm feeling guilty about not at least making a contribution to by now after four years of data security). But this can and will go in less savory directions for the easily marketed to in incremental...
What a grumbly damn thread. No one seems pleased with this rumored announcement at all and would rather resurrect endless (and endlessly debated) minutiae about imperfections in the land of A. But coming from the vacuum tube era and experiencing various epiphanies with the first Wurlitzer-size Pong game I ever saw, the first transistor radio that would fit in a pocket, punch card readers, the nearly original "mini-computer" (a half-room filling DEC PDP8 that had to be...
I keep seeing this shibboleth put forth on forums, but it's always stated as a third person fact - never by someone saying his or her own iTunes experience on Win is notably inferior because of A, B and C.And given that something like 70% of iTunes users are Win iTunes users year after year, why would so many people - with millions more added every year - voluntarily opt to use and keep using a program they all ("universally") loathe?Either back this up (evidence of mass...
Leave it to MS to - could it have been inadvertent?!? - choose a code name already infamously used for a long and painfully failed Apple project (with the name taken from the colored index cards chosen for the initial brainstorming of the project) - actually a failed "AIM" project (The "Apple-IBM-Motorola Alliance") undertaken under duress and in extremis when all three were reeling from the MS which was then eating all their lunches. Pink led to the formation of a...
I hadn't updated my trusty car juke box (60 GB iPod Photo) in an age - probably with iTunes 7. When I got busy and added a ton of music and tuned my lists, iTunes 8 on XP didn't detect it at all. So I downloaded iTunes 9. And then it detected it. Detected it as corrupted that is (it wasn't at least before being connected to iTunes) and asked me to restore it. After about an hour I decided it wasn't working and had to manually disconnect. The next time it showed as...
I hadn't updated my trusty car juke box (60 GB iPod Photo) in an age - probably with iTunes 7. When I got busy and added a ton of music and tuned my lists, iTunes 8 on XP didn't detect it at all. So I downloaded iTunes 9. And then it detected it. Detected it as corrupted that is (it wasn't at least before being connected to iTunes) and asked me to restore it. After about an hour I decided it wasn't working and had to manually disconnect. The next time it showed as...