or Connect

Posts by bigpics

MM's still not a hundred buck a year value add for me. (Tho' granted I can see that if you really can make productive use out of one or two features, it could be for a subset of Apple users.) Given the %age of users (small) who buy it, Apple could garner both market share and great goodwill if it made at least a "light version" of MobileMe the bundled iLife of the early mobile computing age to really complete their "ecosystem" - and they'd likely make more money from...
There's another thing you can't do now even if you're a big company: buy many of even the standardized key parts in quantity, because Apple is locking up the supply with mass future orders. Like 10" screens in 2010 - which make you have to pretend 7" was what you really wanted in the first place. Or flash memory in 2007-8. Expanding the patent portfolio makes some sense, but otherwise, like melgross and penchanted I've always found most of the speculation about Apple...
I know I'm not gonna get anywhere with you, but 1) it's not for HIM to disclose, it's for Apple, Inc., again, a publicly held corporation with millions of people having more or less of their prosperity depending on how Apple does, to keep us apprised of what THEY as an organization know about the overall state of their leadership team. Again, as Dr. Milmoss points out you and others are simply making up what the real issue is here which is not second-by-second access to...
Agreed about the "snide comments about the man himself"... ...and feel for your own living hell... ...nonetheless.......if Apple were a privately held company, the owners would have every right to be as private about the matter as they wished, but it is not and only the two posters below seem to have any idea how the real world of public corporations works and why...Maybe an analogy will help some of you get that this is more than a matter effecting only the man and his...
Search = why? Way outside their current core competencies; and one and a half (Bing) big barriers to entry. "Span of control" is a huge management issue for any large company. You can only drive effectively in so many directions at once before cohesion and mission are seriously compromised. Mapping software and cloud-based content creation (both alive at Cupertino), on the other hand, seem like more logical places to play which are related to today's and near-future...
The average cut that a retail store gets is 50% of selling price.You mean of course an Independent Apple Reseller, no? Consumer electronics sellers of all kinds tend to work on incredibly thin margins in a brutally competitive atmosphere. And small operations, unless a) their bread and butter comes from other sources - e.g., repair, non-Apple branded accessories, software sales (which the Mac App store will now quickly or slowly steal from the IAR's) - or b) run as...
My rent, staff, shipping, time and advertising amounted to much more than 30% of my costs to sell and distribute my (sometimes self-manufactured) product and I was stuck in an out of the way location. THAT makes sense to me. My point is that 30% to take over all those functions, while also distributing free product for others, is in no way egregious to expect from a small biz.
None of my edits have ever been contested and no food fights either. This happens mostly when the subject is living famous people, politics or religion, not when it's on historical or technical topics. Wikipedia is vast and the last independent study I saw said it's on the whole as accurate or more accurate than any comparable source. So not that I doubt there's plenty of web-office politics in an enterprise of this scope -based on high-sounding principles, but run by...
I ran a retail store and bought my merch generally at "Keystone" (50% off retail) and sometimes at "Triple key" (66% off), but my suppliers did nothing to drive traffic to me nor handle distribution, collection, deposits, etc., or to improve my "location." Seems very reasonable to me on a crowded web. Thanks for saving me the keystrokes. Apple also incurs lots of extra cost for all the free software it does host, post and deliver, btw. Yeah, that's greedy. As is, for...
Just for the record, when I did my first "New Every Two" some years back the credit was $200 - and I only found it had dropped to $100 when I went to get my next phone. So Verizon is very "flexible" about what they "do for you."