or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Uhh, the First Amendment?Depends on the meaning of "marginalized." Woz has no managerial skills or ambitions to have any and doesn't need the money. His engineering skills are many generations behind and I doubt he's going back to school (tho' he still enjoys tinkering at the edges). But he was a key founder of one of the most iconic corps in the country's history, is famous, a pleasant enough guy, talks to people who are still movers and shakers, still a bit of a...
Starting to get the lay of AI land finally. For example, I just knew from the headline this article was gonna have a DED byline!!
My sense of history is that corporate ethics - even between mature corporations - often tend to shade toward the grey. I used to cite the old Jobsian visit to Xerox Parc Labs to see mice and graphical UI's as evidence of this, but I read recently that got settled, not to Xerox's huge profit, but on the up and up. Still, Apple (and MS) have added "features" to Macs (and PCs) that were once sold as add-ons by "partner" ISV's. Other ambiguous at best cases can be cited,...
I'll just point out legal reverse engineering isn't about stealing patents, it's about figuring out how something works and then figuring a non-infringing (similar or dissimalar) way to do the same thing. Endgadget (?) posts its new Apple product tear downs ASAP, but dollars to donuts, every other competitor has them torn apart and under analysis just as quickly. Being a contract manufacturer gives even a bigger head start on the process. So I'll happily grant your main...
I worry more about what's happened with other industries going down the road of outsourced production. The companies that start out building fairly peripheral parts keep moving up the food chain until they're building the whole product, and then the next stage is they begin marketing their own variants, removing a final outside distributor from the cost chain, and eventually take over the market. Show me a TV still manufactured in the US.Also, there may be IP and patent...
Really? How much of "the media" does he own and how much of "the news" does he control? Granting that he's the Chairman and a major stockholder in publicly traded Newscorp (not "the" owner), and just considering the US, does one broadcast net of the big four provide "control" of the media? How about one cable news and one business news outlet (and is it through nefarious means that the one news net gets higher ratings than the others)? Is his smattering of mostly...
So long, "Acerbic."Nice. You didn't change a word from your yesterday post on the topic. Guess that cut and paste thing is a real boon. Using newspapers and TV stations to influence elections?!? My god, this has certainly never happened before! Certainly the New York Times and MSNBC would never stoop this low. Quick, call the FCC! This must not stand!!!Actually, to be "fair and balanced," there is at least one cellco that plays the "social responsibility" card: ...
To me that translates to "elaborate time wasters" vs. "casual time wasters." I'm sooo glad I was born a bit early for the electronic gaming generation, which has claimed so much of so many lives running around in someone else's synthetic maze blowing up virtual non-things. Word, Keynote and Photoshop are still my favorite "video games." I endure reading about gaming because I have to in order to follow the industries that matter to me. (Just getting that out of my...
Well put. And so many important stories never get any ink as we debate over a few often superficial ones - using the same stale talking points overandoverandoverand.... And since the thread's long been jacked into a debate about media politics rather than iPad publishing models, a few more observations on same:The Washington Post has a similar editorial policy to that of the NYT/LAT/Boston Globe combine (or collective!), but they at least keep some wall up between Op-Ed...
Real big on the First Amendment, are you, ehh? All the news that doesn't fit your view ain't fit to print. Cool that! Funny, both Hitler and Stalin felt the same way. Were you this outraged when a Democratic operative hacked into, taped and released one of Newt Gingrich's phone calls? And was convicted of same? Jus' checkin'....But Julian Assange is totally and utterly a good guy, and only the left cares about human rights, right?Ohhh! "FauxNews!" Great coinage, dude!!!...