or Connect

Posts by bigpics

He said to the mixed audience of idealists and profiteers....Well, yeah. The good news is that many free "limited functionality" apps - the real well-written ones - luckily (for me) have enough for me to be satisfied with the free version. e.g., Super-Duper (about which I'm feeling guilty about not at least making a contribution to by now after four years of data security). But this can and will go in less savory directions for the easily marketed to in incremental...
What a grumbly damn thread. No one seems pleased with this rumored announcement at all and would rather resurrect endless (and endlessly debated) minutiae about imperfections in the land of A. But coming from the vacuum tube era and experiencing various epiphanies with the first Wurlitzer-size Pong game I ever saw, the first transistor radio that would fit in a pocket, punch card readers, the nearly original "mini-computer" (a half-room filling DEC PDP8 that had to be...
I keep seeing this shibboleth put forth on forums, but it's always stated as a third person fact - never by someone saying his or her own iTunes experience on Win is notably inferior because of A, B and C.And given that something like 70% of iTunes users are Win iTunes users year after year, why would so many people - with millions more added every year - voluntarily opt to use and keep using a program they all ("universally") loathe?Either back this up (evidence of mass...
Leave it to MS to - could it have been inadvertent?!? - choose a code name already infamously used for a long and painfully failed Apple project (with the name taken from the colored index cards chosen for the initial brainstorming of the project) - actually a failed "AIM" project (The "Apple-IBM-Motorola Alliance") undertaken under duress and in extremis when all three were reeling from the MS which was then eating all their lunches. Pink led to the formation of a...
I hadn't updated my trusty car juke box (60 GB iPod Photo) in an age - probably with iTunes 7. When I got busy and added a ton of music and tuned my lists, iTunes 8 on XP didn't detect it at all. So I downloaded iTunes 9. And then it detected it. Detected it as corrupted that is (it wasn't at least before being connected to iTunes) and asked me to restore it. After about an hour I decided it wasn't working and had to manually disconnect. The next time it showed as...
I hadn't updated my trusty car juke box (60 GB iPod Photo) in an age - probably with iTunes 7. When I got busy and added a ton of music and tuned my lists, iTunes 8 on XP didn't detect it at all. So I downloaded iTunes 9. And then it detected it. Detected it as corrupted that is (it wasn't at least before being connected to iTunes) and asked me to restore it. After about an hour I decided it wasn't working and had to manually disconnect. The next time it showed as...
A little historical annotation: MS and Apple were both viewed as guys in a garage or dorm room companies by corporate America which was 90% + of computing back in the day when the home PC market had barely begun. Actually MS wasn't viewed as anything as it lacked any compelling products and bought its DOS after meeting with IBM. So tiny MS got its foot in the corporate door via being blessed by IBM for its PC. And the public perception of IBM, not MS, made IBM become...
No it isn't. I keep hearing this shibboleth over and over. I've found the experience on the two platforms to be nearly identical for five years and like 87 versions now - and enjoy the subtle and big improvements which just keep coming (like a new half-white/half-blue indicator showing that I've only listened to part of podcast. Little improvements that you just discover and know what they are without even being told are cool. And iT4W helped make me a...
One thread to bind them all.
$999 is this week's price. To me it def looks like there will be a model below that in the new line-up.This sounds close to me. A 15" would be logical if there's going to be "a MacBook line," and 15" is bread and butter for most notebooks, so there are sales to be had there waiting to be scooped up.Of course, Apple could confound us all, even in this era of leaks from overseas suppliers, third-party vendor website premature SKU postings, etc., and bring out a 10 or 11"...