or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Truly informative! Thanks. I actually learned something useful and nuanced on an Apple Insider forum post. There was one more issue you didn't deal with, though, and perhaps you (or someone) can enlighten us on this: For string instruments at least I know the sound is not only the frequency of the note, but also includes harmonics (lesser wave forms at multiples of the frequency? I forget.) at frequencies far beyond the range of what we think of as hearing. I was...
MP3 didn't ruin our hearing, it ruined what was there to be heard. But it was only the 2nd or third wave. The history of audio recording was going for better and better for decades, culminating in fragile LP's and reel-to-reel tape played thru analog tubes on huge heat throwing amps. Then we got the downscaling of audio quality to serve lower-maintenance more mass markets. 8-Tracks and cassettes were NOT designed to advance the cause of "all the music" at your fingertips...
It probably will and that's a bit unfortunate. After the OS and a few apps are installed, it really leaves little storage space and leaves lots of owners with a less than optimal experience. too bad they couldn't hit that 30% margin at $999 with the 128 GB.What about $899? That P-point seems open now and the "production experience" costs have long since been recovered.Here's the lot: iPad: $499-$599-$629-$699-$729-$829. MacBook Air: $999-$1199-$1299-1599. MacBook:...
Some of the few intelligent posts in the first four pages I read. I'm getting depressed about wading through the lack of Mac knowledge in most discussions lately. Part of the influx of the great unwashed into Macland? And as for most of the whining, bitching and carping - all from people who aren't the target users in the first place. Sheesh. If you "use optical drives all the time" you're not in the Air's demographic. Etc., etc., ad nauseumThis omission is puzzling...
1. If everyone who ever leaked info about upcoming Apple products went to jail, there'd be no AppleInsider and about a jillion other Mac rumor sites. and then where would YOU post? This community acts as a mechanism for adding greatly to the buzz and anticipation of new Apple products, and Apple, marketer supreme, certainly recognizes that AI, et al. overall act in its best interest. Plus, when leakers get too close to the bone, Apple's demonstrated it's a hardly a...
I see drift, but I sure as hell don't see sinkin'. Look outside your consumer electronics, cool OS blinders..... MS: Yeah, plenty of chinks in the armor, especially in areas where the public sees, but all flesh wounds to the core business. No real competition to Office anywhere on the horizon. No chance of PC OS falling below 80% in the next decade and Win 7 is actually, while not my choice, much improved (all it had to be) and a hit. Solid solid server share in the...
Actually there's another variable that's not much on these forums, which is how Google/YouTube pretty much won the video default web site award: the Android Marketplace (much like YouTube was [is?]) is loaded with tons and tons of rip-offs of copyrighted content unavailable on an unlocked iPhone. And people have shown little compunction about being able to get access to material they want whether or not it's in violation. Overall I have to believe this is all about a)...
Have you seen the videos circulating of the latest Flash on Android? "seconds/frame" rather than frames/sec. when it comes up at all. and I recall Steve saying facetime was going to be freely available (or available free?) to other companies, no?
Doesn't your blighty VAT account for about half of this, mate? (as for the rest I have no explanation) But don't worry - with our growing appetite for voracious gov't and US VAT on the way, we'll soon catch up in the colonies.
You're way right.You're so wrong. Maybe "absolutely no reason" for the cognoscenti already loaded down with all kinds of devices named in this thread, but just watch the sales take off for this thing. Solves six problems for me out the gate and I won't be buying much if any media.