or Connect

Posts by bigpics

Yeah, that's basically what I (a non-engineer/scientist geek) was thinking. 3G + 4G isn't going to be that ubiquitous for years to come. So sans an iPhone with a new GSM+CDMA chipset (a Verizon only model likely, but both to be able to work overseas), this Verizon speculation is all just talk out of our hats. But, given the progress from single transistors to whole computers on a chip since the '60's, how hard could dual cell capability actually be? Anyone have a learned...
Ahhh. So the magic comes from soaking the motherboard in salt water then......
Technically I'm wondering if it's mostly all about when Verizon rolls out 4G and how extensively - making the CDMA/GSM connection situation moot?And first?!? (That would be a first)
Many more people than do - most I would guess, and yes, I know, not all - could do more to pay themselves in the future too. You can start anywhere: Get a glass of free water with your burger instead of a soda. Put that in a jar. Get a lower priced entree next time you eat out or skep dessert. Cook something simple and nutrituous instead of eating out in the first place. Get a newspaper every other day, your next tee shirt at a thrift shop. Cut cable services you...
I ended up wandering into the Glass Cube on Fifth Avenue at like 3:00 am, and it was not only actually crowded, the Genius bar was fully up and running people were carrying out purchases in droves, and I'm talking MacPros, 13" Macbooks, etc., i.e., significant purchases, in a steady stream. In this economy (and knowing a lot of small business types) the experience was almost surreal. Other tech companies can only eat their hearts out.......
It was both and more in an unholy, politically and economically corrupt climate created by the same forces that have always driven economic bubbles - bubbles that always burst and crash the game. Nothing's changed in human nature since before the beginnings of economies.
The metrics we've been seeing lately cry out for re-definition in several respects - and should be more segmented by classes of device.And actually one can do more "personal computing" on the latest iDevices than on many netbooks. e.g., I was testing the Verizon-bundled HP/XP/IE-running netbook to get some directions on Google Maps and it wouldn't show me actual maps of where I had to walk after getting off the subway. My Mac and old XP tower do, and I'll bet an iPhone...
Actually, unlike Wistful, virtually all netbooks apparently run Win 7 at least as fast as XP (source: This Week in Tech podcast)The trickier issue is price. MS has been selling XP for netbooks for $15 - but charging the same price for Win 7 on a notebook and netbook would raise Win netbooks' prices by (guestimate) $40-65. So if Chrome is free to manufacturers (supported by AdSense), they may be motivated to sell this latest iteration of "thin-client computing" (a model...
Thanks will check both out - would like to see Apple deal with these though, and specifically thinking more of those cases when you're on a site and the (growing less frequent?) "contact us" buttons (with no email address provided there), which when pressed sets my mac into a frenzy of invoking Apple Mail. which does eventually get me an address I can THEN cut, close Apple Mail, and paste into a gmail replay. Lotsa extra time and steps there...... ...and I imagine...
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! It worked! And (see solipsism's comment below) - I STILL have no idea of what the "Image Capture" Application does exactly. And no idea how I ever would have found out how to do this without this forum.Agreed on all pointsAgain, good points.To which I'll add two more mini-rants:1. Virtually the only behavior I ever change in iTunes is the quality at which I import CD's - and it's buried 6 clicks deep in "Preferences" (and even deeper...