or Connect

Posts by bigpics

I agree with take one below as far as it goes.......but it goes further."Who on earth would be shallow or stupid enough to buy anything based on what anyone else thinks about it?"Like it or not, much of many or most people's lives is about either trying to make an impression that they're "cool," or to at least avoid the approbation of appearing to be "uncool." Including...-Everybody who pays $150 for a pair of frackin' designer label Jeans....-All those kids from poor...
nice!!
Fox actually has two objectives. The first is to make money. Imagine that, a corp that wants to make money. Heavens to Murgatroid! Whereas the NY Times and MSNBC - *whose* sole objective IS to demonize conservatives are purer as they continue to lose and lose and lose it. The clearest, most trustworthy journalism I find is often in the WSJ (I don't like ALL the changes, but on balance I'm not freaked out) and the Times of London. While over at the NY Times Op-Ed...
In fact, tho you L0L, it might.... "In physics and cosmology, digital physics is a collection of theoretical perspectives based on the premise that the universe is, at heart, describable by information, and is therefore computable. Therefore, the universe can be conceived as either the output of a computer program or as a vast, digital computation device (or, at least, mathematically isomorphic to such a device)." Talk about high-level languages. We are stardust, we are...
I both agree and disagree just a bit. My violin from the 1880's appraises around $3,000 and I've learned it was the "mass" version of a master German violin maker's studio - made by his apprentices, not by him - and maybe with some parts that didn't quite pass muster with the stricter standards of the studio's "higher mark" instruments. It's taken some abuse over the years (by kid me, mostly), and when I began having it restored, I rented a cheap, modern violin and was...
Truly informative! Thanks. I actually learned something useful and nuanced on an Apple Insider forum post. There was one more issue you didn't deal with, though, and perhaps you (or someone) can enlighten us on this: For string instruments at least I know the sound is not only the frequency of the note, but also includes harmonics (lesser wave forms at multiples of the frequency? I forget.) at frequencies far beyond the range of what we think of as hearing. I was...
MP3 didn't ruin our hearing, it ruined what was there to be heard. But it was only the 2nd or third wave. The history of audio recording was going for better and better for decades, culminating in fragile LP's and reel-to-reel tape played thru analog tubes on huge heat throwing amps. Then we got the downscaling of audio quality to serve lower-maintenance more mass markets. 8-Tracks and cassettes were NOT designed to advance the cause of "all the music" at your fingertips...
It probably will and that's a bit unfortunate. After the OS and a few apps are installed, it really leaves little storage space and leaves lots of owners with a less than optimal experience. too bad they couldn't hit that 30% margin at $999 with the 128 GB.What about $899? That P-point seems open now and the "production experience" costs have long since been recovered.Here's the lot: iPad: $499-$599-$629-$699-$729-$829. MacBook Air: $999-$1199-$1299-1599. MacBook:...
Some of the few intelligent posts in the first four pages I read. I'm getting depressed about wading through the lack of Mac knowledge in most discussions lately. Part of the influx of the great unwashed into Macland? And as for most of the whining, bitching and carping - all from people who aren't the target users in the first place. Sheesh. If you "use optical drives all the time" you're not in the Air's demographic. Etc., etc., ad nauseumThis omission is puzzling...
1. If everyone who ever leaked info about upcoming Apple products went to jail, there'd be no AppleInsider and about a jillion other Mac rumor sites. and then where would YOU post? This community acts as a mechanism for adding greatly to the buzz and anticipation of new Apple products, and Apple, marketer supreme, certainly recognizes that AI, et al. overall act in its best interest. Plus, when leakers get too close to the bone, Apple's demonstrated it's a hardly a...