or Connect

Posts by bigpics

I agree - and my post is more along the "trying to" line.  Google's not going to own all of these emerging industries (one can hope at least - "wouldn't be prudent" - to quote Dubya's Dad). Nor have I looked into GOOG's financials to see if blowing all the resources they're spreading around into so many initiatives makes business sense at the present, and I absolutely have no insight into predicting the growth and adoption rates into any of 'em beyond the current...
 1. When did Apple ever buy a company selling a separate retail line of hardware products ((or at least continue to operate it as one)?2. As the article pointed out, Google already had a piece by being the venture capital arm and were therefore working closely with them ever since that relationship started.Pretty straightforward really.PS: By the way, most of Apple's recent acquisitions seem to make fairly excellent sense. And whoever spearheaded and then honchoed/midwifed...
This is obviously a production line still being fine-tuned and ramped up - releasing a few early builds to keep their promised date target.  And I imagine they're staffing and doing parts procurement differently than with their iDevice lines.  I.e., they have an idea of what the sustained sales rate is going to be once the pent-up first rush settles into ongoing demand. This is a very different proposition than the 10s of Ms of set config $650 iPhones assembled and shipped...
Nice combining of two parts of my post that weren't related in any way.So...1. Yes, anecdotal evidence aside, we can look up the sales figures and Apple's moving lots of product in their home market. And all signs point to them moving a lot more going forward. That was a response to someone else's anecdote  (tho' I do feel movement in the air in Android's direction, not just in sales but in buzz, ecosystem, the proliferation of fan sites, geek adoption, etc.) - but I'm...
 Let's see, a portable device that plays media, hosts apps but doesn't make cell calls. Hmmm. I believe Apple's decisions show they believe that gadget, though gargantuan by comparison, would be the iPad Mini.PS: One way to get a "new iPod" is to buy (or re-purpose your own) used iPhone 5's and run them as Wi-Fi devices.   Agree with your disagreement. Tho' many here won't buy in until Apple releases a larger screen model, and then most of those same people will be among...
 No, but.... ...the internal code name of Rubin's is (seriously) "Replicant" a la the androids in Blade Runner.Now there's a nice homage.... ...as Replicant is, I guess, arguably warmer and fuzzier than "Terminator" (or Cylon).... ....if by warm and fuzzy you mean Goog's goal is to create super strong synthetic beings with identity crises who'll be sent on deep space missions because they've been deemed too dangerous to live on earth.....  Gonna go off the reservation...
Interesting that MOST demos of art and photography products (or their art and photography aspects at least) seem to be (frustratingly) made by non-artists and non-photographers....  ...some kind of "law" involved??
Oh, I'm sure he'd rather use whatever his focus-group polling tells him would be the best received in photo ops (the iPhone I'm certain), but for now, "Since the Secret Service likes his Blackberry, he'll keep his Blackberry. Period.";)
Probably THE great scary/cool thing about the digital world is that a whole new class of computing is always coming.......it's both incremental (e.g., the iterations of OS X) and lumpy when the accumulation of increments allows a disruptive new device class to come into being......but it's been constant since the first digital devices and the speed of change is increasing itself.  Here's my shot at a business and long-term corp strategy case for such a device:First, sales...
If by free you mean you settled for last year's tech (and less future resale value) while getting locked into two years of paying a carrier's same inflated on-contract monthly prices and "saved" $6.25/mo ($150/24) for the privilege.....[...And not attacking you, rather the whole model at the US "Big Two."]