or Connect

Posts by bigpics

I am (or rather mostly was - I'm now trying to lighten my load) an omnivorous collector of memorabilia and can tell you they are likely worth a few bucks each (in good condition). Check eBay. Quite a few listed at quite a range of prices. I estimate my first issue of MacWorld is worth about $25 (kept mint) more or less.I have weirder things too:  An Apple Lisa catalog, Apple II brochure, Videotape from IBM explaining the "AIM Alliance" (Apple, IBM and Motorola, i.e.,...
 It's true I don't buy much print either these days, but the Mac magazines had a quality and format you don't quite get on the net making me miss them.  They were characterized by a blend of what's new (where they simply can't keep up with electronic distribution), reviews (where the internet again trumps them in getting these out) and how-tos.... ...which take more time and effort to put together and can't be refreshed as often as today's mix of rumors, press-releases...
There's more everything available from a myriad of A/V free/paid sources than anyone has time to spend listening (and/or watching)....
  I'm pretty pleased with iTunes Radio - even though I'm not quite sure how it works, i.e., is it two things - Apple stations and the ones you make - or more?.  Are their "stations" human curated?  Are the ones I "create" and "tune" purely algorithmic? (Note: the slider that allows you to choose the degree of straying my chosen artist/album/song on my stations is way cool.)  Also, they do play a fair amount of the actual artists I use to create them and also surface new...
Agreed on all counts. Especially the first... I would add it'd be cool if all major (and, yeah, "minor") countries even had a semblance of respect for even the weak, inconsistent and conflicting mechanisms surrounding IP in the first place.
"# of patents received/year" isn't a totally useless metric, but by itself means relatively little in terms of what it says or augurs about a company's current or future success, product pipeline, tactical or strategic directions, etc.  The numbers game is belied by many things, e.g., one "basic" key patent can be worth more than a million that are either trivial or relate to technologies, materials, uses, etc that never get adopted.  And it follows that how key a patent...
 What exactly would you have the US Gov't do....? If China doesn't want to be a responsible protector of of copyright and trade dress, the non-drastic options seem limited.  Because of said lack of shame and ability to absorb a lot of jaw-boning without ever taking real action.We've gotten to a point where China has real leverage against the US on multiple fronts - economic, debt holding, military and diplomatic. Think this can be pretty much kept out of the US and other...
I'll consider myself corrected on the variables you mentioned, thanks....  ....however, think it's worth noting that the total energy cost of the phone is considerably more in terms others that often get overlooked: i.e., its whole life from design, engineering, setting up production, producing, distributing, even marketing and disposing... ...and all the uploading and downloading that's done on conventionally powered nodes of the net (which is partially - if a tiny part...
This kind of omission - which begged to be addressed if only to say he doesn't know or couldn't find out - is one of the most legitimate kinds of criticisms of DED pieces which often have their share of "chads" left "hanging." I know it was the main question I had going in after the headline, and it still is...
Signs are, that with their virtual monopoly on relevant OS's and apps broken (or at least breaking), they are increasingly interested in becoming an "all platforms" software supplier going forward. They know that Apple customers are the more affluent, more app-buying and are the trend-setters in mobile, so they've clearly targeted those devices first, but Nadella's being quite clear (in his pronouncements and increasingly in MS releases) that they'll continue to broaden...