or Connect

Posts by bigpics

It's the 21st Century equivalent of "featherbedding" - when union rules required that trains continue to have both an engineer and a "fireman" in the engine cab long after there was no wood or coal to shovel......and to many other labor situation rules, e.g., in the auto industry, when production line technology came along...As industrial unionism has helped put enough drag on many traditional industries that used to be located mainly in the US to erode the base of...
FTR, I could have made my point more clearly.  I meant these services aren't immune to being overtaken - compared to search - in terms of barrier to entry from new or old competitors with refreshed tech.  Just like Chrome (as you pointed out) came out of nowhere and grabbed the lion's share, in mobile Apple's Safari on iOS is only 6 (?) years old and has a huge share of mobile web traffic. So a new take can sweep in again more easily in these areas by far than any company...
Most Google services are in fairly to very insecure positions for the long run. There's nothing inherently unique or superior about Android, Chrome or GMail, e.g.  However, displacing Google Search is another matter altogether.  G's Search, Analytics and ads are intertwined and insinuated deeply throughout most of the internet.  And by nearly all reports, MS - despite really a lot of work (visit once a month and you can easily see the evolution) is losing a ton in order to...
I tried Pandora in its early days - and could never - even with extensive training - get its fabled algorithm to zero in on the music I was after - just bunches of stuff from entirely different eras by artists I'd never heard of and wasn't impressed by.  So at the time I preferred Apple's many existing radio streams from around the world. And Youtube, (even with its super-primitive playlist builder/editors) 'cos I like the visual component - and it's a good date or small...
Quote:Jeff Bezos is not exactly unknown, but still the real sleeper among the key tech leaders of our time driving the tech revolution, since he was seen as a mere "retailer" for so long. Amazon has always been a bigger vision in his eyes, though, and is a more impactful player (with its own unique "ecosystem") on a number of levels than most people realize.Any and all of his competitors (and any of we interested observers in the race to the future) are well advised not to...
Casio put folded zooms that bend the light path by 90 degrees into thin devices a long time ago, so while still a formidable engineering task, it's beyond academic that an optical zoom could be fit into a device close to the size of the iPhone.Obviously battery space would also be an issue - the iPhone is already packed.  I've long thought an "iPhone C" (this was before the "5c") - an iPhone specifically emphasizing photography ala the Lumia 1020 - could be profitably...
That's still a 500% mark-up on the "memory pack" (to borrow a term for high margin upgrades in the car biz).  On a product that most owners will require for a good quality long-term user experience as pointed out below. And that hurts the perceived experiential quality of a good portion of entry level buyers who may reconsider who to get their next gadget from somewhere else (even if suffers by comparison on multiple other levels).  I.e., more adequate entry level RAM...
And makes a dollar burger from McDonald's more "satisfying" than prime rib...I'm lovin' it......  /s
Quote:Do people still get Scrooge McDuck references?  I hope so.... ...anyway....Given:1. The many small niggles that persist and bedevil users over multiple OS releases that more people assigned to stamp them out could solve...2. Profitable niches the company could be in already (like an additional larger screen phone - 10% of the mobile market)...3. The degree of "non-static" competition they face in nearly every market and space they play in.... 4. Their (mostly) "our...
Don't go away mad, Carl Icahn.  Just go away and bedevil some other company. (And damn, I wish there was some way for Apple to burn his ass on the way out.  Still he's a tricky - and persistent - dick once he sets his sights on something, so this sub-plot will likely have more twists and turns - and maybe many - before it's over....)