or Connect

Posts by jonyo

Is it possible that the word "iphone" in this case is simply a stand in for any smartphone? As in, the way people would say kleenex when they mean any old tissue, not just a kleenex branded tissue? I can't really read the text on the pic posted, it's too tiny. Can someone post a bigger version or a link to a bigger version?
It'd be nice if we could see the exact language the poll used. Was it only about electronics? If it was just a "what would you like for christmas" general question, and virtually EVERY response that got enough mentions to be included in the list of percentages is an electronic device, then.... that's crazy. No kid wants a bike? Some legos? A model rocket? A football? Geez, if we think this generation of kids is fat, wait until the next one, they'll be scooting...
I'd be very interested in a 15" MBP that was thin and light like the Air, and left behind the optical drive. However, if it's going to be my main machine, I can't get by with a little 128GB SSD drive, I need more space than that. Even 256GB won't do it. 512GB would be ok, even though in my existing MBP I'm considering upgrading the 500GB to a 750GB, but either way, the cost of a 512GB SSD would likely price the thing out of my league.
I don't dispute that it might take more computing juice than the A4 can give to do this voice nav stuff, but just how much faster is the A5 than the A4? In the case of the ipad1 vs ipad2, specs says that the cpu is clocked at a limited speed of 1GHz on both, with 1 core on the A4, and 2 cores on the A5. However, the benchmarks I've seen show the ipad 2 at around 1.6x-2.1x faster than the ipad1. (Main ref here is Primate Labs Geekbench 2 score: ipad1 @ 456, ipad2 @ 739,...
I don't see any reason for this sort of voice control to require any hardware that the iphone4 doesn't already have, namely, a mic, and... well, just a mic, so if they make this stuff available only on the iphone5 HW running ios5, and not the iphone4 HW running ios5, that will be VERY irritating, as it would seem like just an artificial limitation to push iphone5 HW sales. I realize that the iphone5 will likely run an A5 chip instead of the current iphone's A4, but I'm...
I'm seeing a lot of mistaken assumptions about how the law works here. First, we've got to separate the 2 things we're talking about: (1) the entry and search of this guy's place, and (2) the possibility of the 2 apple guys impersonating officers of the law. So, for (1), it's important to understand that the cops can say just about anything to convince you to let them in and search your place without a warrant, and it's NOT illegal. Cops are legally allowed to lie to...
Warrant or no warrant, identifying themselves properly or not, police officers entering the residence or apple employees or both, NONE of that matters in a legal sense once they guy let them come in and search and didn't ask to see a warrant or say no. All he had to do was say no. The guy was a goof and basically tossed his rights within the confines of the immediate situation by acquiescing to their requests to enter and search. All he had to do was say no, and they...
Well, now that the PD says "yeah, we were there", it throws any allegations of someone impersonating a law officer out the window. If nothing against the law happened there, plus the guy let them in and agreed to the search, then essentially no laws were broken with regards to this search at all. Why the cops said "wasn't us" and then changed their story to "whoops, yeah, we were there" is a separate thing that might come back to bug them later, but that won't mean...
The article doesn't state whether or not the cops (or guys saying they were cops but lying) produced a warrant when they showed up at his door. Whether it was the real cops or not, this guy should never have let them in the door or even answered a single question if they did not produce a warrant. Even if they DID have a warrant (which would have meant they were real law enforcement of SOME kind, otherwise the warrant would be a forgery, and that's a pretty deep rabbit...
I know that iweb will keep working with idisk, and I can use it to post my site somewhere else via FTP, but of course, that hosting won't be free. However, my main concern isn't really hosting a "site" persay, as much as hosting web-accessible files that I (or someone else) can access via your basic web link. I guess the dropbox thing requires that you access your files with some sort of app, regardless of platform, right? (correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm not a...