or Connect

Posts by MacCentric

I still don't see episode 25 in the Apple podcasts app...
I think all banks and stores will get on board in short order. It is not worth them losing business from their most affluent customers.
If someone has a negative outlook for stocks and the economy, the best position to be in is to hold cash and short term, high grade securities. If a company believes that their stock or the stock of other companies is in "bubble territory," instead of buying back shares or merging now, they could wait for the valuation to collapse then buy the assets and companies for pennies on the dollar from people who are in a more financially precarious or overextended position.The...
Berkshire Hathaway's primary business and historical source of cash was and is insurance. It currently contains 70 different insurance companies including GEICO and General Re. It is also relatively recently that Berkshire Hathaway is acquiring whole companies, earlier in its history, it made more passive investments.Also note that I said "Tech companies" and did not only include apple in my comments. Anyway, where in the past, Insurance was used as the cash generation...
Tech companies are looking more and more like insurance companies in the style of Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway.
It is absolutely common and wise.Let's say an individual had a share of AAPL that they acquired at $50.If they sold it for $130, they would owe capital gains tax on $80 (or the difference between $50 and $130).They would then get a deduction for the $130 that they donated.However, if the person just gave the charity the appreciated share, they could deduct $130 without paying any capital gains tax.The charity could then immediately as a tax exempt organization sell the...
Bravo!
There was a year or so between Cingular buying the mobile division of ATT and ATT then buying the whole of Cingular and integrating it back to ATT. It is likely that they did not plan to do it all along, but maybe certain people did as I am sure it resulted in nice fees for M&A investment bankers.
Yes, and Apple is very affected by it especially in January, however, this month's equity options expired on April 17th and the next monthly options expire on May 15th. There are also weekly options but they have much less impact.Personally in an environment with massive buybacks taking place, I don't mind when Apple's stock price gets beaten down, it allows the company to buy back more shares at a lower price. It doesn't make sense to bet against Apple as the buyback is...
I definitely would. I've known him for 6+ years, met his wife and daughters, he is a good guy. I would want his family to have him for as long as possible.I also for sure would have donated my liver to Steve Jobs if I had the opportunity. It would have been an honor.