or Connect

Posts by robbyx

In the case of the iPhone they were correcting a mistake, the mistake that locked in the iPhone screen size from day one. Remember how the iPhone 5 added a row to the home screen and apps that hadn't been updated didn't fill the screen? At that point, Apple's only choice was to scale the screen so they stuck to the marketing spin that they couldn't deliver the same caliber product with a larger screen...until they changed everything under the hood and got developers to...
I don't care if you think my comment holds authority or not. It's an opinion. And like everyone else who disagrees with me, you've offered no evidence for why a square screen is better. Just a lazy, "well Apple engineers chose it so it must be better..." explanation.Like I said, I don't see why a square screen is better than a round one for displaying bite size bits of data. Sure, there's more surface area and screens have traditionally been square or rectangular. But...
Agreed on the white! It's garish. But I appreciate the sparse design. I don't see the space as wasted necessarily, just more focused. But that pic also shows each watch doing very different things, so probably not fair to compare the interfaces.
Good points. No question the square shape is more functional. But this is a fashion item and in fashion function follows form. If Apple or anyone else wants to create a product with broad appeal, they're going to have to pay attention to the whims of fashion, function be damned. Digital watches have existed for a long time and square shapes remain far less popular. It might be dogma keeping watches round...or perhaps round ones simply look better on the wrist?
I have no problem with anything I've posted. I actually try to comment on the topic and I don't immediately get condescending and insulting to anyone who has a different opinion. Of course if you push my buttons, I'm not shy. There are a handful of people on this forum who simply spoil the experience for everyone with endless condescension, labeling people trolls, etc. We all know who they are. Maybe you want to live in an echo chamber where your views are endlessly...
I can't really gauge the thickness in that shot, but yes, Moto is clearly bulkier.  But that's not the newly announced one, right?  I tried on the Apple Watch and found it bulky, not terribly bulky, but bulky.  I've seen the Moto on display but never tried it on.  That said, I still prefer the round form and in that picture I rather prefer the lack of clutter on the round screen.
I largely agree with that assessment.  I do think that the public was more enthusiastic in general towards the iPhone, but you're right that the "fever" didn't really start with the first release.  I think the Apple Watch has the potential to be a nice accessory business for Apple.  It will never be a tentpole product.  Can Apple convince 10% of iPhone buyers to also buy the Watch accessory?  That pads the bottom line quite nicely every quarter. I think they often get it...
I was not a fan of larger phones until I held the iPhone 6.  Apple cracked the door for Samsung by not making the iPhone 5 larger and Samsung found customers because of the screen size.  As soon as Apple made a larger iPhone, Samsung sales tanked.  The market spoke.  I think the same thing could happen in the smart watch space to an extent.  However, a third party smart watch will never be as well integrated as what Apple offers, so Apple has a built in advantage...
Frankly I was so surprised by his silly reference to sundials that the opportunity escaped me.  And besides, it's obvious that he (or she?) doesn't value my opinion on anything since I'm not oooooooooooing and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhing over the Apple Watch.  I was talking about watches, not the history of timekeeping.  He is obviously someone who needs to be right in a petty sort of way, so I suppose he can now gloat about schooling me on sundial shape.  When I used the word...
 Are you serious?  We're talking about a FASHION ACCESSORY, not the history of time keeping.  Sure, I suppose you could interpret my use of the word "timeless" as including sundials, but really???????  Timeless, as in the FASHION context.  I can't believe that requires explanation.