or Connect

Posts by robbyx

I'm not the only one who doesn't see a need for wearables.  The public clearly does not either.  On the other hand, the public clearly DID see a need for portable music players long before Apple got into the market.  You can't even begin to compare the iPod to the Apple Watch.  Sony sold millions upon millions of Walkman models long before MP3s existed.  The public clearly had a desire to carry their music with them.  Yes, Apple definitely stepped into the MP3 player...
I would too.  Apple could do a lot more in the music department that  would have far greater appeal (and make more $$$) than the Apple Watch: 1. iPod Touch w/ 256GB+ flash storage, as you suggest2. Sell Lossless music3. Buy Sonos and offer a seamless music solution for the home (sorry, AirPlay is NOT it) Plus, focus on the living room: 4. Apple TV with App Store and gaming features5. Apple-branded game controllers for Apple TV6. Game rentals on Apple TV7. Buy Nintendo,...
This is hardly surprising. How long has Pebble been around? They just sold their millionth watch. It took years. Wearables are a niche market. The public still has not embraced them. Only people inside the Silicon Valley bubble think they're the next big thing. The Apple Watch will definitely sell a few million units out the gate, but sales won't be sustained, nor will the Apple Watch suddenly make wearables a viable category. In reality, most of the features of...
 Bingo.  This is when wearables become mainstream.  When there's no interface.  When it monitors and anticipates.  When a voice-driven UI actually works.  Not when I'm forced to interact with it on a tiny little screen.
 I certainly cannot argue with this scenario.  I think sensors and health-related features are definitely the future of the product.  As we evolve into machines, first we'll wear the sensors, but soon they'll just be implanted.  And health (and all the fear-based marketing associated with it) will drive the wearables market.  We're also sicker and more drugged out as a society than we've ever been and that isn't likely to change thanks to the general ignorance of the...
There's a huge difference between the smart phone and a watch.  Only the most stubborn can't see that.  The smart phone put a computer in your pocket.  Coupled with wireless data service, it made all sorts of things possible that previously required one to be tethered to one's computer.  The watch extends some of these things, but it offers nothing revolutionary in the way the smart phone itself did. Wearables aren't on the cusp of anything today.  They are boring and...
Are you joking? Wearables are not on the cusp of anything. They're a niche market that only hardcore techies find interesting. the public has never embraced them and unless someone comes out with something truly revolutionary, I don't see that changing. Some people have just convinced themselves that wearables are "the next big thing" despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary.And yes, MP3 players did fix a major problem. Instead of carrying my Walkman and a bunch of...
I agree with everything in the article. Except i think it'll be a few quarters before we can know whether or not it flops. The first two quarters, sales will be strong. Supply will no doubt be constrained and there will be a long list of excited fans waiting to get their watches. But after that? Will the general iPhone using public plunk down $350+ for notifications on their wrists? I seriously doubt it. By then the tech press will have thoroughly reviewed it and we'll...
I feel very much the same way. The more I see of the watch, the more convinced I become that there isn't some secret wow feature, but that it's all rather predictable. And not the least bit interesting. I'm sure there's a niche market for people who want to get notifications on their wrists, send heartbeats (so lame), and talk into their watches like power nerds, but I think that market is very small.No doubt this will blow away the conpetition, but considering that...
5 years?  That seems incredible optimistic.  Personally I found the article rather amusing and very much agree with the vaporware gist.  HoloLens looks interesting, sure, but practical?  Useful?  Yeah, right.  Who is going to wear something like that?  It makes Google Glass seems downright stylish.  That said, I'm glad to see companies like Google and Microsoft pushing the envelope.  Apple seems rather conservative these days by comparison.  Of course, who knows what...