or Connect

Posts by robbyx

Most people don't use 95% of Office's functionality.  So long as business feels the need to pay for overpriced software with features that the vast majority of users never touch, Office will thrive.  But the times they are a changin'...
  I agree.  Notebooks are still essential for anyone who needs to get "serious" work done on the road, but there's another group who just wants portable access to information, picture sharing, online shopping, email, etc. For these people, an iPad more than satisfies.  I have a MacBook Pro and love it, but these days I travel with my iPad a lot more often than I do the MacBook.  If I don't need to work while I'm on the road, I prefer the convenience of the iPad.  My next...
I've been using both Apple and Google Maps and honestly can't say that one is more accurate than the other in my experience. Google definitely seems to have the advantage when it comes to POI data, but for directions I find them to be comparable. I much prefer the Apple Maps UI, however. I've never been a fan of Google's UI work. I'm all for minimalism, but I like a healthy dose of style with my minimalism and Google, like Microsoft, has no style. I'm tired of all the...
  I think you make a very good point.  I'd love to get my mom off her iMac.  She loves her iPad, but still wants the big screen computer experience at home.  Since I provide her with a lifetime of free tech support, I'd much rather she use an iPad all the time because she rarely has questions or problems.  Not so with the iMac!   A large screen iPad with a nice keyboard dock would easily replace the Mac/PC for most casual users.
All this griping about the lack of a Retina display is silly. Have you seen the mini? The display is actually very nice. The obsession some have with performance benchmarks is so mine-is-bigger-than-yours, especially when it comes to an iPad. What are you doing on it that ALWAYS requires the latest, greatest, and fastest chip? Since the mini's A5 doesn't have to drive a Retina display, it's actually very snappy. I find it snappier than my third generation iPad (which...
  Washington State.  If you live in WA, you pay sales tax when ordering from Amazon.  Amazon is not incorporated in other states, thus they don't have to collect sales tax in those states.  Apple is (presumably) incorporated in all 50 states.  Thus, you pay sales tax anytime you buy from Apple.  And, by law you're supposed to pay sales tax on those untaxed Internet purchases from Amazon, etc. too.  But I doubt many (any?) of us do!
  I don't think you can say that self-regulation has been proven not to work.  You might be right, of course, but we've never had a truly free market in which to test the concept.  The problems we're dealing with now are the result of little or no regulation in some sectors, but if you're over-regulating some areas and under-regulating others, that's not a free market.
  Not just that, he wants to force everyone to invest in the same terrible investment scheme, the government.  And how is that working these days?  Trillions in debt, one of the the worst education systems among "first world" countries, much higher crime rates than other "first world" countries...   But we can build more weapons and drop more bombs than anyone!  We don't have money for our own people, but we're more than happy to take tax dollars and spread them around...
  And it does.  But it's not taking advantage of our power grid, roads, infrastructure, etc. when it sells a product in France.  So why should it pay taxes in the US on the sale of that product?  The majority of Apple employees are not just educated here in the US, they live here.  So they pay US taxes too.  As does Apple on all of its profits here.
  I'm not sure I agree that there's a correlation between tax and happiness in these countries.  There are quite a few other factors that I'd consider before assuming people in these countries are happier because they pay higher taxes.   First, all of these countries are quite small population-wise.  That makes it possible for government to offer more/better services.  These countries are all pretty culturally homogenous too, not the melting pot that is the US.  It's a...